Recommended Modifications & Accessories for New Owners

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olagon

Anyone have recommended modifications & accessories for new FFE owners? I realize this is a a general question but hoping for insight from current owners on things they are happy they bought. Thanks!

Some ideas...

:arrow: Add a HomeLink visor if your FFE didn't come with one:
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1242

:arrow: Equip your car with a portable Level 2 charging solution and charge "anywhere":
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1004

:arrow: Get a custom-fitted Covercraft sun shield to keep your FFE (and the battery, which is effectively located inside the cabin) cooler when parked in the sun. Covercraft shields are perfectly-fitted to your car make/model and are much better than the flimsy generic ones available at your local automotive store.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007552NHQ

:arrow: Get a portable DynaPlug "clean" tire puncture repair kit, and avoid using the horrible spray-in sealant "goop" that Ford provides with the car (which leave a mess inside the tire and on the rim, and will ruin your tire pressure sensors):
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1982&start=20#p10896

:arrow: Get your windows tinted with a high-quality UV blocking film. Again, to help keep the cabin cooler and perhaps reduce the energy used by the A/C.

:arrow: Very easy but valuable "mod": Try running your FFE with a higher tire inflation. 38 PSI is the recommended, but some of us have been trying pressures up to 45 PSI, which seems to yield a 10-12% energy savings, which could translate into 10 more miles of range. YMMV.

:arrow: Completely remove the "flip up" organizer and bin assembly in the back of the FFE (it just all lifts out, without hurting anything) and open up quite a bit more room for cargo.

:arrow: Replace all the external bulbs with LEDs. I've done this (mainly for the "coolness" factor; instant on/off), but technically it saves some power (negligible). I would recommend the high-quality (and truly very bright LED bulbs) from http://www.v-leds.com. Their products are worth the price. You'll learn this lesson buying inferior bulbs from other vendors (as I did).

:arrow: Replace the internal bulbs (basically the dome lamps) with LEDs. This can be done with cheaper bulbs, even available on eBay.

:arrow: Quite an advanced mod: Re-wiring the LED "eyebrow" strips on the headlights so they always come on automatically whenever the car is on (sort of like daytime running lights). There's a thread in this forum about that somewhere.

Sill plates with 'Focus' or 'Electric', lighted or not. (I got the lighted Electric ones. )

http://accessories.ford.com/kit-10604.html

Easy one:

Swap the brake and tail sockets in the rear lamps for a cool, unique look from the back. Reminds me of cats eyes and wiskers. Lol :cool:

This was mentioned in another thread but I did it and it's easy:

Remove the rear head rests if you are not carrying passengers in the back seat. You get improved visibility out of the rear view mirror and also shed about 3 pounds.

The first thing I did is window tint. Changes the visual look and makes the inside cooler. I also suggest on upgrading the suspension system such as getting new shocks like bilstein to improve ride quality.

has anyone (I'm sure they're out there...) played around with lowering the suspension on an FFE? I'd be interested in maybe lowering it just a bit and keeping the stock rims...

Don't forget to buy a lithium 12V jump starter and keep it in your glove box for when your 12V dies and you don't want to wait an hour+ for ford's roadside service. The rear hatch needs 12V power to open so if you store the jump starter back there then it will be very difficult to get at when the 12V is dead and you need the jump starter. Most but not all 12V issues have been resolved.

I made Grill Covers and wheel covers for my CMAX that improved MPG's by at least 5 mpg, I don't see why you couldn't do it to the FFE. Here's a Link: http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/6568-how-to-drive-a-cmax-hybridffh-to-get-great-gas-mileage/page-1 Also we use 50psi with excellent tire wear.

Paul

You missed the point, this is a aerodynamic mod, makes the front of the car smoother, less drag like an airplane wing. Same with the wheels. The improvement is very obvious on the CMAX. If someone lives in the Atlanta area I could put some on and see how it works. :)

Paul

ptjones said:
You missed the point, this is a aerodynamic mod, makes the front of the car smoother, less drag like an airplane wing. Same with the wheels. The improvement is very obvious on the CMAX. If someone lives in the Atlanta area I could put some on and see how it works. :)

Paul
Smoother? Have you seen an FFE? how much smoother do you want??

jmueller065 said:
ptjones said:

Paul
Smoother? Have you seen an FFE? how much smoother do you want??
Well you have to watch a 14 minute video to see what he did. And JMueller, you got it right, the FFE front end can't be made much smoother.

In that video he shows the clear plastic inserts he made to fill in the grill, the slot at the bottom, the fog lights, covers for the wheels, and an unusual thing over the rear wheel well. The only common element with the CMax is the lower slot. Not sure that makes sense to fill that in - the battery temperature management system would probably get all messed up. And of course you could put clear covers over the wheels just like Schneider does with their semi truck wheels.

My guess, ptjones hasn't seen the front end of an FFE.

And the inflate to 50 PSI - good for him that worked in his car. Seems like a really bad idea. Others have mentioned using higher tire pressure. I'm in the camp of following what is on the door sill and trusting that Ford and Michelin did their research for the right tire pressure.

Carbuff said:
In warmer climates, couldnt you overheat a c-max if you covered the grille.
Well Carbuff, watch the 14 minute video to understand what he did.

I'll give you a spoiler alert - he built multiple inserts with holes for air flow depending on the temperature outside.

I think he has spent a lot of time looking at semi tractors - wheel covers and the winter radiator covers seem to have inspired these mods.

I did these Mods 5 years ago and also did the Grill Cover on My 2010 FEH. Got the idea for wheel covers from ECOModder. I just looked at FFE front end and it isn't smooth like a airplane wing. It has grill relief pieces and center half is recessed, maybe not a big problem, but it isn't smooth.

I use my CMAX Grill Covers all year long and only remove low cover when I'm going to be doing a lot of climbing. :)

Paul

I had thought about doing a lower grill block on the FFE for winter but I never got around to it. The front on the FFE is pretty tight and I would think you'd run into cooling issues without the front grill in the summer. I have done grill blocks on my previous ICE vehicles but I'm fairly certain the FE gains I saw were due to the engine running hotter and getting up to temp quicker more so than any aero advantage.

Back