An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:15 am 

I'm thinking about getting some new tires for my FFE. Like many here, I'm not happy with the slippery, squealing traction, particularly in wet weather. I'm wondering if anyone who has replaced their stock tires has any further updates or opinions on the results. I'm looking at getting the Continental Pure Contact (about $600 shipped from tire rack) as it seems to have tested well for wet and snow traction. I'd love to hear any thoughts other FFE owners might have. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:20 am 

When I was trying to wrap my mind around the idea of having no spare tire, no jack and no lug wrench, I did some digging and decided that I would likely give the Bridgestone DriveGuard tires a try, if I replaced my Michelins. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... DriveGuard

The only question left in my mind would be how much of a range hit I would take since they are not a LRR tire.

I see there is a Pirelli P7 that is both run-flat and LRR, but it seems to get more negative feedback in the reviews.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:24 pm 

cwstnsko wrote:
When I was trying to wrap my mind around the idea of having no spare tire, no jack and no lug wrench, I did some digging and decided that I would likely give the Bridgestone DriveGuard tires a try, if I replaced my Michelins. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... DriveGuard

Interesting. Is there a downside (besides non LRR range concerns) to using run flats?

I'm still leaning towards the Continentals, will probably pull the trigger soon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:02 pm 

Do any of you have newer info. / results from changing tires?
(This thread was interesting, but seems to have dropped from attention; not an "active topic".)

My main goals:
good traction (including on wet pavement), and Much better life than the stock tires: 2 of mine wore nearly to replacement depth in just 22,000 miles.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:53 am 

I would agree, would be nice to hear stories of people who have gone to 18" wheels/tires - what their experience has been, photos, etc. Thinking of doing the same but may just go with more aggressive-looking 17x7.5s so I can keep using my OE tires.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:10 pm 

I have noticed that my tires are getting louder with wear. In a vehicle that is nice and quite like an EV the noise is bothersome. So, I am looking for a quiet tire in addition to run-flat and LRR. How much range do you lose if you go with a non LRR tire? 2%-5% ? more?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:27 pm 

Found my own answer, doesn't look like they save all that much..

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/conserve/fuel_economy_tires_light.html

I think my new tires will be a bit stickier and quieter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:18 pm 

Been a while since this thread was active...

Has anyone found a good summer tire to improve traction? Like others here, I'm will to trade a little less range for better acceleration traction and stopping distance.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:16 am 

I'm looking at the 18" Bridgestone runflats.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... &tab=Sizes

At 23,000 miles, I'm expecting to replace my factory tires in about six months or so. 30,000 miles from stock tires isn't too shabby.

I hate aftermarket wheels, but the OZ Ultraleggera are 9 lbs lighter than the Ford Racing 18x8's.
That's a huge difference in unsprung weight, and should easily offset any range loss from not using an LRR tire.

Also, the Bridgestone has a slightly higher load rating than stock, which should also help with rolling resistance.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:46 am 

I guess a bunch of us are all waiting for updated / long-term replacement tire info...

The MFM forums are also pretty lacking as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next