Tom French

Re: PERFORMANCE TUNING ANYONE?

Sat May 07, 2016 8:21 am

In "L", I can spin tires easlier then in "D".

I run normal 38psi.

"L" also gives me a longer range, seems to charge the battery with stronger amperage.
2013 Volt Blue (lease expires Aug. 2015)
2015 FFE Performance Blue

bb6lude

Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:26 pm

I light the tires in the wet every time. Can't wait until the tires wear out and I can replace them with something stickier.
jmueller065 wrote:My guess is that the extremely hard tires cause the traction control to back way off. I wonder if it would be a bit more zippy with more sticky tires.

Don Eyermann

Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:06 am

I bought my Ford Focus in January...and I love it. And while it may not be a "Sports Car", let me say I have had a number of sports cars....I am 70, my first "Sports Car" was a 1956 Porsche "365A" with 1500S engine....yes the original VW 2 piece block modified to be a Porsche engine. Then I had a MG Midget, onto which I later attached a Bug Eye Sprite front end, then a Triumph TR-7 and a Karman Ghia, then I had a 1975 Toyota Supra, and presently I have an early 1950's MGTD fiberglass replica on a VW chassis.... With the exception of the Porsche (I think) and of course the Supra the Ford Focus Electric out accelerates and out corners the rest of the true "Sports Cars" in my list. It will also out accelerate and out corner many of the "family sedans" I have owned...but not my "Muscle Cars". I also had a British MINI Minor, that was modified with a 1275 engine onto the original 850cc engine transmission (if there are any MINI enthusiasts out there, you know the 850 tranny will not allow the 1275 crankshaft to make a full revolution...so being as I was "poor" but determined engineering student, I cut rectangular holes in the block to allow the crank to rotate. Then I fashioned a "Cover" pan that fit over the 4 cutouts and with the last of several sealing attempts being a cut up inner tube...it did not leak!!) With the 1275 engine on the lower geared 850 transmission...and being as it was a MINI...the Ford Focus is neither as fast nor would out corner it...but I digress (hope you got a chuckle out of the story). And get that I have a viable history of Sports Car ownership and driving experience....
So, I would indeed LOVE to have a bit of tweaking to my Ford Focus EV to make it go faster off the line...including wheelspin...Sometimes I like wheelspin. Sure I know it loses traction and is slower...so what, its FUN! Good old fashioned FUN. I used to take my Corvair Corsa with the 4 carbs and 140 hp and yank on the hand brake and spin it "BAT-TURN" style. I lived in Missouri...it snows a lot there in winter...I drove "Wild & Crazy" on parking lots in the snow...as well as in fallow corn fields....and on back roads in rural Missouri. I learned to control my vehicle in the snow and ice ...Thus I don't get stuck and have never had an accident in the winter. Plus I have avoided hitting other "less experienced" drivers who did lose control. So, if anybody out there has knowledge of "hackers" who have played with the controller codes....give me an opportunity to play along...deyermann@q.com

jmueller065

Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:37 am

If you want wheel spin: Use the left menu on the dash to go into the vehicle settings and turn off the traction control (sadly this will only "stick" until you turn off the car, then it will default back to "on").

Another hint for speedier takeoffs is to goose the accelerator just a little to get it rolling before flooring it: The Ford cal restricts full-throttle acceleration but backs off a bit if the car is already rolling.
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

Texas FFE

Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:53 am

No, no, no! None of these posts are useful or knowledgeable! Why are the knowledgeable people on this forum keeping quiet on this subject?

The Nissan Leaf has a lot less power than the FFE but is just as fast 0 to 60 mph. The Leaf and the FFE have about the same amount of torque but I've heard that the Leaf pulls much harder off the line. The FFE definitely has a torque limiter at low speeds.

I'm not terribly interested in making my FFE faster but I would like to see it live up to it's potential. I don't like the idea of getting beat by the much less powerful Nissan Leaf, even if it's just for a few feet. I would think that someone would have figured the torque limiter out and figured out a way to override or modify it.
2017 Blue Candy FFE
2015 Teutonic Silver Fusion Energi Titanium w/Adaptive Cruise Control
2004 White GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD

rsanders4

Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:13 pm

Exactly. The FFE is pretty nerfed off the line. I would *LOVE* to get into the guts of the FFE's ECU with Forscan or the like.

Here's an interesting tidbit. The FFE's "torque limiter" isn't active in reverse.
That's just stupid. You'd think the smart thing to do would be to nerf the throttle response in reverse.

As I've said in numerous threads, I've noticed Ford's tendency to be more "conservative" with everything on the FFE.

Nerfed throttle response. Only using 18 Kwh of a 24 Kwh pack, etc, etc.
My understanding is the 100+mi range in the 2017 was just an ECU change, and not a new battery pack.

Jamez

Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:39 am

Well, the Leaf has 300lbs less weight than the FFE, so perhaps start by adding some lightness...
Jamez

---------------
https://www.facebook.com/myevlife/

2016 FFE Kona blue
2006 MINI Cooper S JCW
2005 MINI Cooper S JCW
2011 Volvo S80

EMP40

Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:44 am

The Leaf is just that in side impact crash. Once I watched the video the Leaf was not an option.
2016 FFE, Tectonic Leather, Apple CarPlay enabled

WattsUp

Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:46 pm

rsanders4 wrote:Here's an interesting tidbit. The FFE's "torque limiter" isn't active in reverse.
Probably full torque forward would always spin the wheels, but full torque in reverse does not -- due to increased down-force on the front wheels as the car accelerates backwards.

Still, odd that full torque in reverse is apparently allowed. If anything, you would think the torque might be even MORE limited in reverse -- to make it more difficult to make a mistake when driving backwards.
2013 FFE, Platinum White, Delivered January 2013
2017 MS, Midnight Silver Metallic, Delivered February 2017
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

toddh

Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:00 am

The limited Torque on takeoff seem to me to be a programming of the inverter power curve.

As another stated Ford has been very conservative with this car which is understandable given it's their first mass-produced EV.

Tapping the pedal from standstill in a Leaf and the Focus is a different feel. The Focus almost feels like you're on a rubber band whereas the torque on the Leaf is more substantial and instantaneous. I have a feeling if you lined up a Focus and a Leaf, the leaf would beat it off the line but the Focus would catch up rapidly.

A very simple example is the Toyota RAV4 or Tesla which have performance modes. I have a Toyota RAV4 and when you put it in performance mode a slight depression of the petal gives you a much more aggressive response and surge of power.

I think that Ford simply programmed a very conservative power curve from the line possibly to prevent wheelspin but also to protect their electrical components from standing start power surges.

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”