I installed a HomeLink visor in my 2013 FFE in 10 minutes!

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WattsUp

:arrow: UPDATE: It has been brought to my attention that some 2013 FFEs (manufactured later than mine?) have different visors than the ones pictured below. My 2013 FFE has an older style visor that matches those used for 2012 Foci (electric and non-electric) and apparently some 2013 FFE's, like mine. This is why the 2012 HomeLink visor was a "drop-in" replacement for me. It got "lucky", and you very well have as well. But, if your 2013 FFE has the newer style visor, then the 2012 HomeLink visor will not match your FFE exactly. It can still be made to work, just beware that your driver's side visor will be slightly different than the passenger side. You may also need more parts for a "complete" installation.

How To Tell Which Visor You Have

• If your visor has two screws with round covers (as pictured below) in the hinge, then you have the old-style visor and the 2012 HomeLink visor will drop in.
  • If your visor has a "smooth" hinge with a "split" in it, then you have the new-style visor. The 2013 HomeLink visor can still be attached to the same "mounting point" in your FFE roof, but the hinge and the vanity mirror (inside the visor) will be visually different from the passenger side (unless you replace the visors on both sides, of course). Also, the plastic "holding" clip in your car will not quite fit the old-style visor, but you can also replace your clip with an old-style 2012 clip to fix this.

Back to the original posting...

------------

So, I ordered a brand new OEM HomeLink Visor for my FFE online for $83 on Ebay. Click here to see the original listing. (As I write this, the seller still has a several more available.)

The visor arrived today and indeed seemed to be a genuine brand-new Ford part:

Note the single wire and connector. The connector has two pins and appears to simply carry 12V power, which obviously powers both the HomeLink electronics and the vanity lamps.

I went out to my FFE and took a look at the visor "hinge". It has two little covers over the screws which pry out very easily:

You can insert a small screwdriver into the opening at the edge of each cover to pry them out (needing only very gentle force).

With the covers off, the two Torx-style screws (T20 size) which secure the hinge to the roof can be accessed:

With the screws removed, the hinge can be gently and easily pulled downwards, revealing the short connection wire:

I found the connector about an inch down the left side of the headliner (where I could feel it by inserting my finger between the roof and the headliner). It seemed to been adhered in place with the glue for the headliner (either by design or accident).

:arrow: CAUTION! Some have reported being cut by sharp edges concealed behind the headliner near the mounting hole. If you are cut, you might leave ugly blood stains on the headliner, so take it slow or wear protection.

I carefully pulled the headliner down a bit (by hooking a finger or two over the edge of the hole), felt some of the adhesive "break" away from the roof, whilst also occasionally (gently but firmly) pulling on the connector/wire. Eventually, the adhesive loosened enough for the connector to come free. There was enough wire on the other side of the connector to pull it out just enough to access it:

The connector has a little tab which must be depressed gently (again, a tiny screwdriver works well) to release it the original visor. Then, you simply connect the HomeLink visor (feeling a tiny snap from the connector tab as it re-engages), tuck the connector back down the left side of the headliner, insert the visor hinge back into the hole, re-attach the screws, and push the covers over them.

Voila! HomeLink visor in my 2013 FFE:

Next, I of course programmed the visor to operate my garage door, which was very easy.

You can find instructions for programming the HomeLink visor in the 2012 FFE owner's manual here, starting on page 149.

I just did this in a 2014 FFE. The interior stayed the same as the later model 2013's. In other words, the stock visor is the telescoping version with the split half cap to cover the screws.

If you want to do this job perfectly, no McGyvering things, you'll need the Homelink visor, the hold down clip, and TWO plastic caps for the screw heads (head over to Tousley Ford for the parts). You can do the change over without those caps and the clip - you just have to wrap the new Homelink visor clip with a couple rolls of tape (it isn't hard to do, doesn't look bad at all, and it works). And if you don't mind two black screw heads looking at you, the job will look fine.

The LED light conversion for the dome lights, trunk, outside rearview mirror puddle and amber marker lights, is also pretty easy to do (nothing changed with the 2014). This is my third time around, and I can do the whole job in about 10 minutes. The first time it took me about an hour.

EVA said:
I just did this in a 2014 FFE. The interior stayed the same as the later model 2013's. In other words, the stock visor is the telescoping version with the split half cap to cover the screws.

If you want to do this job perfectly, no McGyvering things, you'll need the Homelink visor, the hold down clip, and TWO plastic caps for the screw heads (head over to Tousley Ford for the parts). You can do the change over without those caps and the clip - you just have to wrap the new Homelink visor clip with a couple rolls of tape (it isn't hard to do, doesn't look bad at all, and it works). And if you don't mind two black screw heads looking at you, the job will look fine.

The LED light conversion for the dome lights, trunk, outside rear view mirror puddle and amber marker lights, is also pretty easy to do (nothing changed with the 2014). This is my third time around, and I can do the whole job in about 10 minutes. The first time it took me about an hour.

Could you please provide some additional info? I have a late 13, which seems to have the same visor as your 14. And yes, I want to do a perfect job.

1. Do you have the part numbers of the needed parts, particularly the caps and clips?

2. The only color I see for the visors is "marble". Does this match the 14 interior?

3. Is there some technique to remove the split ring cover without risking any damage?

4. How well does the 14 passenger visor match the 12 driver visor? Is it just the attachment or are they visibly unmatched?

5. Did you change the passenger side as well? If so, are they any particular part numbers?

6. I take it from your description that the electrical connector is the same, no problems...right??

Thanks in advance. I had a 2012 Focus that included the Homelink, and it didn't occur to me to even check whether the 13 had one as well until I went to program it!

michael said:
Could you please provide some additional info? I have a late 13, which seems to have the same visor as your 14. And yes, I want to do a perfect job.

1. Do you have the part numbers of the needed parts, particularly the caps and clips?

2. The only color I see for the visors is "marble". Does this match the 14 interior?

3. Is there some technique to remove the split ring cover without risking any damage?

4. How well does the 14 passenger visor match the 12 driver visor? Is it just the attachment or are they visibly unmatched?

5. Did you change the passenger side as well? If so, are they any particular part numbers?

6. I take it from your description that the electrical connector is the same, no problems...right??

Thanks in advance. I had a 2012 Focus that included the Homelink, and it didn't occur to me to even check whether the 13 had one as well until I went to program it!

1. I'll have to dig, I probably do have the part numbers someplace. I orderd the visor on eBay - but you don't have to go that route. Tousley Ford is like the US clearing house for Ford parts. They have virtually everything you need. The problem, I can get to the diagrams, but I don't have part numbers - so I have to talk you through getting there yourself.
Try this link:
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/parts/2012/FORD/Focus/Titanium/?siteid=214771&vehicleid=375721&section=BODY%20HARDWARE&group=ROOF&subgroup=INTERIOR%20TRIM&component=Sunvisor

If that doesn't work - you'll need to start here:
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/parts/
I selected 2012 - because I know the 2012 Focus Titanium had the right visor in it. Then Ford, then Focus, then Titanium (or any other model really).
Now the tricky part - the next part is Body Hardware (not exactly intuitive)
Then Roof
Then Interior Trim
Then Sunvisor

There are two parts diagrams - blow one of them up - you are looking for Part #4 the visor; Part # 5 the clip; and Part #6 the cap. There are a pile of visors - you want the left visor with Homelink $70.92.

Now back up one grouping to Interior Trim - go to page 6 and you will find the two other parts. Part #5 is Sunvisor retainer and costs $10.67.

Now hold on to your hat - you need TWO of these (they are sold EACH) Sunvisor cover SEDAN at $6.71 each. Yes you will do something nasty in your pants when you see what almost $7 each buys you. That is a tan plastic cap the size of the head of a screw.

While you are looking at the interior parts - take a gander at the cost for the headliner - yes you read that right.

2. Yes the color is correct. There is only one color for the headliner in this car.

3. Put a screwdriver in behind and pry. Honestly, you don't care if you break the cover, you're never going to use it again. I honestly can't remember exactly how I popped it off and I've done it like four times now.

4. Match between the two visors. Honestly, I've read that people complained that the two visors don't look alike. I'm baffled by that comment. I can't see any difference between the two aside from the three black buttons. I have looked at those visors a lot and I can't see how anybody would say they are completely mismatched. But then my wife sees messes I don't see at all.

5. No I didn't change the passenger side. I guess you could - Tousley has the parts.

6. Yes the electrical connector is the same. There's some goofy tab that wasn't obvious, you have to press to get them apart. It took me a minute or two to figure it out.

On the parts - you need the homelink visor for the left side (driver's side). You need a new retainer clip on the right side of the visor (the new version has a deep set screw; the onld one you are replacing with has a fold over cover). And optionally, you need two caps to cover the two screw heads on the left side of the visor. You no longer need the split cap.

EVA said:
4. Match between the two visors. Honestly, I've read that people complained that the two visors don't look alike. I'm baffled by that comment. I can't see any difference between the two aside from the three black buttons. I have looked at those visors a lot and I can't see how anybody would say they are completely mismatched. But then my wife sees messes I don't see at all.
On the outside (i.e., closed) they look the same, and have the same overall shape.

On the inside (i.e., opened), the plastic mirror assemblies are different and do not match between the old and new versions of the visor. You'd only notice when both visors are down so you can compare the mirror assemblies.

----

And of course the older visor has visible screw holes (with tiny covers) on the attachment arm, while the new visor has a smooth snap-on cover that hides the screws.

Allrighty, I did this over the weekend. Overall 4 out of 5 stars. (I have a 2013 FFE with new visor style)

Here are some things that I want to point out and/or emphasize...

1) The connector is in fact glued down HARD up in the headliner in some cases. This was my case. Lots of fighting to free it from fairly deep inside the headliner. This was compounded by the fact I have big man hands.

2) It was such a struggle I managed to lacerate my knuckles and smeared blood all over my headliner before I knew what happened. Blood all over a light colored headliner was pretty obvious. Came off pretty easy tho... go fig.

3) The 2013 visor right side anchor clip bracket is just a hair too big for the 2012 visor. In other words, there is some wiggle where the visor clips in. Actually, it doesn't clip at all anymore. It just sorta rests there. (This was briefly mentioned in original post)

4) The 2012 visor does not telescope. The 2013 did. It had the wire. go fig again.

5) The 2012 material is different than the 2013. It is subtle, but the 2012 is just a hair more 'plasticy' than the 2013. In my opinion, it feels cheaper.

The homelink works great, and the average person would not notice the different mirror size and makeup light configuration.

...they would notice the floppy right hand side anchor clip tho. I ordered the older anchor clip from the place linked to above.

Still... would do again. ...just providing some full disclosure.

Thanks for your experience jloucks.

Fwiw, my 2013 FFE (built October 2012) had the 2012-style visor, so my replacement HomeLink matches perfectly, fits the existing clip, etc.. I give my install 5/5 stars. ;) So, depends on which 2013 FFE one might have. Some people (like me) may get lucky and end up with a perfect match, others will have the slight visor differences.

And I hope no one else lacerates their knuckles. Ouch!

I bled all over the headliner too. That's why I decided not to change the passenger side. The mirrors are distinctly different to. But oh well..

If you have problems getting to the connector try pulling down on rubber door trim and the top pillar cover at the top only enough to get the headliner down a little bit. Look up inside between liner and door frame you will see the connector plug and can disconnect and reconnect without cutting hands. Just done my 2014 works and looks great.

I went another direction and got a gentex auto dimming mirror with homelink. Installed it looks factory and I solved 3 issues. Keeping my telescoping visor and adding homelink and auto dimming mirror. :) and it was only $165.

WattsUp said:
Astrand1 said:
I went another direction and got a gentex auto dimming mirror with homelink.
Sounds cool... Do you plan to post any photos or installation tips? Do you have a link for the source?

Yes I will. I'll do it this weekend. Another member suggested I put something up and I just got busy but I will get it done. :)

I installed the Homelink visor myself this evening using the info in this thread. Thanks!!!

A couple of points...I ordered everything from Autonation (Previously Tousley Ford)...The Ebay visor is now showing as $100...But it's only $72.81 from Autonation.

The whole un-install and install took my roughly 10 minutes...tops. I know some folk have had issues getting the connector unstuck from inside the headliner...I just gave the wire a sharp tug and the connector came free from the headliner. The glue attaching the plastic connector to the "fabric" of the top surface of the headliner is way the weakest link in the chain and gave way right away...so no bleeding knuckles for me.

One note...The new visor is a very slightly different shape on my 2014 to the one I installed..but I doubt anyone would notice now it's installed. I suspect even my wife won't notice...which is a BIG test!

The hardest part of the whole process is knowing that I paid $13.42 for two tiny plastic screw covers. The plastic bags they came in probably cost more to make than the covers themselves!!!! I would honestly leave them out if I did it again....The exposed screw heads really don't even stand out, and I doubt you would even notice them as having covers missing.

Thanks again for all the info!

Astrand1 said:
I went another direction and got a gentex auto dimming mirror with homelink.

How did you install the Gentex mirror? Did you do it or have it done somewhere. I am looking at a 2014 but would really like to add this. My dealer quoted me $325 and no guarantee it would work. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fr. Bill

Back