Evocus

Re: Focus Electric won't start

Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:41 am

On the MyFordMobile.com site and here I have seen about 4-5 mentions of Stop Safely Now issues. In at least two cases, Ford has flown 2 engineers from Dearborn to review the issue. In the most recent solved case, a connector pin was not fully inserted into the connector housing. Exact quote: "It turned out to be a loose connection, they found a 'problem with contactor circuits at lower battery 40 pin connector. Pin #25 was not locked into connector completely..'"

I see your crosspost over on MFM, so you probably have already read this information. ;)
2012 Ford Focus Electric White Platinum Tricoat Metallic (4 July 2012)
Schneider EV2430WS Level 2 EVSE

Charged Up

Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:06 am

Evocus wrote:On the MyFordMobile.com site and here I have seen about 4-5 mentions of Stop Safely Now issues. In at least two cases, Ford has flown 2 engineers from Dearborn to review the issue. In the most recent solved case, a connector pin was not fully inserted into the connector housing. Exact quote: "It turned out to be a loose connection, they found a 'problem with contactor circuits at lower battery 40 pin connector. Pin #25 was not locked into connector completely..'"

I see your crosspost over on MFM, so you probably have already read this information. ;)
Doesn't seem like everyone here is also using MFM so I thought it best to post here as well.

Evocus

Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:31 am

Yep, I understand. I'm active on a number of forums because I'm not sure which will become the better ones in the long term. So far, it seems to be myfocuselectric.com (this one) and MFM gaining traction.

felkster

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:09 pm

I thought I'd respond back with some of my experimentation. So far, the only 2 issues I've had with this car are the charge cap being open and the Stop Safely Now message when I am shifting into drive.

I can now confirm that both are "user error" for me. I have been paying VERY close attention to my behaviors, and have determined that:
1) the charge cap was only open when I forgot to close it after unplugging it. I became 100x more diligent in closing it, and I have not seen it open ever again.
2) The Stop Safely Now message appears when I attempt to start the car when a) I am mid-shifting or b) already have shifted into gear
I do think that Stop Safely Now is easier to hit because you don't wait for the sound of an engine to start.

Stop Safely Now has also appeared when shifting between Reverse and Drive while the vehicle is still in motion (yes, I know, this is sloppy driving on my part). FWIW, I got the exact same error on my Ford Escape Hybrid when I used to do the same thing (only once or twice).

Note - Not trying to say that others are seeing the same thing. It's just that, for ME, I have determined this is 100% user error. Since becoming a bit more careful in my startup and shifting behaviors, I have not experienced this message at all.

Evocus

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:43 pm

felkster,

Thanks for the added bit of user detail. I've never seen the message but in all the stories I've read it certainly never occurred to me that sloppy user habits might also cause it to show. I had a similar concern early on (about the car not getting the Ready To Drive icon) cured by tightening up my habits.

Tim

Brandon

Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:23 pm

I have had similar recurring problems with my 2015 Ford Focus Electric. It won't start or it won't enter drive or reverse.

sefs

Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:58 pm

Just a tip for anyone who gets a SSN warning. In order to reset a soft SSN, where the vehicle isn't locked out from starting until the DTC is cleared, you need to power off, open the door (you can close it again after that) and wait till you hear the interpack contactor open. It's not very loud, but definitely noticeable. It takes about ~15-20 seconds. At this point, the logic modules power down and when they start back up they will be reset. Turning on and off rapidly won't help, you have to wait for the modules to shut down.
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD Multicoat Red Metallic
2012 Ford Focus Electric Ingot Silver - Sold
BRUSA Boosted to 46A at 240V charging, 11kW
Chademo DC Quick Charge Enabled!
Home Quick Charger --> 33.8 kW AC / 31.3 kW DC

Return to “Technical Discussions”