2016 focus electric only shows 57 mile budget

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swang

Hi, there is a used focus electric we are thinking of buying. On a full battery charge according to the specs it is supposed to get 110 miles. We went to test drive and the dealer said they just charged it. I think it’s just been sitting in the lot. The battery indicates that it is about 90% charged but says the budget is only 57 miles. The salesperson says the budget is based on previous driving history. But it seems too low to me. If it was previous driving history the person would have had to have been driving very badly to make the budget 57 miles when it indicates it is almost fully charged right? We used to own a 2015 focus electric so I am kind of familiar with this car. Every morning on a full charge our 2015 would indicate 85 miles as a full charge and as the day progressed the budget would adjust according to how we were driving it.

Do you think there is something wrong with the battery of this car we are thinking of getting? Or is there an explanation or is my memory of how the battery indicator works wrong?
Thanks for your advice.

In the winter my 2013 FFE would frequently read only 50 miles.

It is very possible that it only shows 57 miles on a full charge. That Guess-O-Meter can be very unreliable at times.

Thanks for you advice. They are asking around 11k. They also clarified that the specs list that it get 110 mpg but that isn't the amount the battery indicator will show. It is no different than the 2015 model that we used to own so the battery ndicator would show at the most 85 miles for a charge. I was confused . I thought it was supposed to get more on a charge than the 2015 model.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge about how the battery warranty works? The salespeople at Ford told us there is still 5 years left of the original warranty left on the battery. So the battery is covered under warranty if it stops working. And that's as much detail as they will give us.

But what if the battery starts losing its ability to fully charge? Is that considered to be "stopped working". Has anyone had experience with dealing with Ford over the battery warranty or experience with the battery not charging as fully as when they first got the car?

The battery is covered if it fails or faults. If it degrades slowly, that's on you. Ford is specific in the warranty.

And the number earlier is 110 MPGE, which is some EPA mathematical conversion to relate cost per mile to a gas car using numbers that may not be valid for you. The range number is the one you care about.

I'm pretty sure that it wasn't till 2017 that the larger battery was available increasing the range above 110 miles per charge. 57 miles at 90% charge actually could be ok. Extrapolating, that'd be 63 miles at 100%. So depending on the miles on the ODO, that could be ok...new, it should have been 76...but as already mentioned, depends on how you drive it. Extended test drive seems appropriate in this case.

I would be leary of that GOM stating 57 miles range. In Chicago, 80 degrees, you should be 70ish. My 2015 tops out at about 80 miles under ideal driving conditions and temp.

The warrantee clearly states hybrid/electric unique component 8 years/100,000
also
loss of battery capacity is NOT covered.

Unless you live 5 miles from work, I wouldn't give 11K for the used car.

Back