AC Turns On during DC Charging

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rico22

Ok some backstory, I took my 2017 FFE to Ford because the Serverly Limited Performance light kept coming on while charging. I suspected the TMS was not coming on an I noticed the AC would not blow cold air. Turns out Rodents chewed the wires on the wire harness. Anyways Ford fixed it but I had no juice on my way home so I stopped at a DC charging station for the first time. I figured Id wait inside the car (off) while charging and suddenly the AC starts blasting on cold air even with the car is off. I turned the car on, turned off the AC, and turned the car off again. A few mins later the AC turns on again but lower all on its own.

Is this normal operation for the TMS? I read all through the forum on how the TMS fans turn on to keep the battery cool but I didnt expect the inside cabin AC to turn on as well. Or is it possible Ford criss crossed a wire somehow within the wire harness fix and the AC is coming on rather than the TMS? Thoughts?

Level 1 and Level 2 charging has not shown the same results, only my first DC charging attempt so I am unsure if this is normal or not.

Yeah someone mentioned that the AC comes on when DC fast charging. The car is doing everything it can to keep the batteries cool at that time.

I know when I've fast charged my Bolt and another Bolt that I've rented they both made a huge racket as just about every fan on the car comes on to keep things cool.

It makes sense: at the voltages and currents happening during a fast charge just about everything is going to warm up quickly (not to mention the battery).

I just noticed it today when I hooked it up for the first time to my home Level II charger. I heard the fans running and thought I left the car on. I opened the door to check and the dash lights were off. Now I am glad to know why.

Back