Question for those who have had drivetrain issues

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andymnelson

Question for those of you that have had drivetrain issues (motor, gearbox etc.):

What were the symptoms leading to the failure?

My 2016 (bought new Dec 2016, 23,000 miles now), has had an increasingly louder "warble" with a slight growl to it upon acceleration, and now a very audible growl on regen braking. Strikes me as motor windings bad...hoping to gather experience for direction to troubleshoot prior to taking it to my dealer who has sold a grand total of 1 EV, mine included!

I would think that sound means a bearing or gears going bad. I am probably wrong but I thought the windings were encased in epoxy and not likely to fail.

There was a recall for this for 2015-2016 cars.

https://www.hybridcars.com/ford-focus-electric-recalled-for-transmission-differential/

Well it turned out to be a bad bearing in the gearbox. Crazy that the simplest gearbox there is, and I have one with a bad bearing! Shout out to Bob Allen Ford for great and quick service, and for having techs trained on this car. I say this with confidence: those of you that have service issues, it’s the dealer.

7cWff6Q.jpg

Y7IZFZi.jpg

Andymnelson said:
Heh, that was my thought also. All warranty.
I’ve had this happen on my 2017 twice. Once at 7K and again at around 13K. Both times, it got a motor and gearbox, due to the amount of debris throughout.

What all did they replace on yours?

Back