GPS Intermittently Working

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHTech

Greetings,

I have a 2016 FFE, and am located just outside Los Angeles. Recently noticed that the symbol that has the letters GPS crossed out on the navigation screen showing up frequently, but not always. This is while driving totally out in the open. Sometimes I see the arrow representing the car going in areas that does not have any roads, even though I have been on those for years. This problem is new, as I have not seen it until about a week ago. After a couple of miles it will get back on the “proper road”. I did pull the fuse number 67, and reinstalled. That did not help. Thoughts?

Regards,

GHTech

Greetings!

Just wanted to add that the maps did not load last night. Turned off the car, opened the door, closed it, and tried again. Did not worked. Drove a little bit more and tried again. Still did not work. This morning, the maps loaded fine. I am not sure if the GPS is working as I did not drive the car today.

Regards,

GHTech

You could always look in the owners manual for the fuses for the Sync and GPS modules, pull them, wait 5-10 minutes, and reinsert them to force the modules to reboot.

The sync module fuse is usually in the fuse panel below the glovebox--not sure GPS.

Hi jmueller065!

Thanks for the suggestion. I already pulled fuse 67, and that did not help. I have had the issue in the past where after starting the car, when I take the car out of park (Drive or Reverse) the car does not move. Tried turning the car off, and opening the door, and restarting in that situation without success. It takes about 5 minutes of trying before it moves. This has happened about 4 or 5 times, including once this week.

Regards,

GHTech

jmueller065 said:
You could always look in the owners manual for the fuses for the Sync and GPS modules, pull them, wait 5-10 minutes, and reinsert them to force the modules to reboot.

The sync module fuse is usually in the fuse panel below the glovebox--not sure GPS.

Greetings!

I took it into the dealer today. They did a reset on the APIM and GPS. They did a road test and said it seemed to be okay. Wanted me to keep an eye, and let the SA know if the problem returns.

Regards,

GHTech

Greetings,

The problem is back this morning. The SA said (yesterday) that if the problem comes back that they would have to replace the computer. So, I have emailed him the photographs of it acting up.

Regards,

GHTech

Hi triangles!

What does the APIM control? They want me to drop the car off for them to do some diagnostics and maybe contact Ford Engineering. They would give me a car in the meantime.

Regards,

GHTech

triangles said:
yay new APIM!

Hi!

Got the car back with a new APIM, but looks like there might be an issue. Will create a new thread for that.

Regards,

GHTech

Don't quote me but I think APIM= accessory protocol interface module. It's basically the screen/computer on the dash. It's more or less your interface to the car. I don't think much would stop working without it but you wouldn't be able to change any settings.

triangles said:
Don't quote me but I think APIM= accessory protocol interface module. It's basically the screen/computer on the dash. It's more or less your interface to the car. I don't think much would stop working without it but you wouldn't be able to change any settings.

Thanks triangles.

Quick update:

They replaced the APIM again, and this one seems correct. The dealer gave a loaner for the first replacement that took 7 days, and another loaner for the second replacement for 10 days. The strangest thing is the both loaners were brand new cars (29 miles and 12 miles) on it. I was told that they wanted to put 2,000 miles on it, and move it to the Used Car lot. I assume that they make more money there, than in the New Car lot. They are the largest Ford dealer in the world for the last 25 years.

Regards,

GHTech

Doesn't make sense as a new car loses thousands of dollars in value when you drive it off the lot. I'm guessing there must be some tax advantage or kickback from ford for them losing money having to sell them as used.

triangles said:
Doesn't make sense as a new car loses thousands of dollars in value when you drive it off the lot. I'm guessing there must be some tax advantage or kickback from ford for them losing money having to sell them as used.

Hi Triangles!

Agreed. They are the largest Ford dealer in the world for a reason. :)

Regards,

GHTech

triangles said:

Have a friend that's a car dealer.....what he told me is that the dealership marks the car as sold, which lets them take advantage of the various incentives that the manufacturer gives the dealership for selling the car (so called "trunk money"). They put the car in the loaner fleet, then when it has 2000 miles on it, they put it on the lot as a used car with a bit of a markdown from MSRP. Folks see that and say "hey, why buy a new one when I can buy this almost new one with only 2000 miles on it for X dollars off!!" What's not discussed is that, with some good negotiating skills, one could likely get the same discount or more off of a brand new one. The dealer then gets the incentives up front, and sells the same car for just a bit under MSRP. Win win for them.

Dealers also use this approach when they need to meet a certain sales target, say month or quarter end, or to coincide with a marketing push from the manufacturer. BMW / Mercedes / Lexus do this every year around year-end to improve year-end sales to claim they sold more cars than the other guy. The dealers just put them into their demo / loaner fleet.

Finally, many dealers make more money from selling used cars than they do from selling new ones.

Go Galpin!!

Keith

I bet there's even more to it with a BEV - the dealership probably gets the full $7,500 tax credit. Just like leasing companies get the money. So yeah, they make a ton more money selling the FFE used than they do new.

I bet there's even more to it with a BEV - the dealership probably gets the full $7,500 tax credit. Just like leasing companies get the money. So yeah, they make a ton more money selling the FFE used than they do new.

Although all that misses a big cost, the cost of carrying the inventory.

EVA said:

Hi EVA!

I forgot to mention that the loaners that they gave me were 2018 Ford Fusion Energi models. But, they are definitely working the numbers in their favor. Galpin has been around since 1946 and have about 10 brands they represent, so they know the business.

Regards,

GHTech

GHTech said:
EVA said:

Hi EVA!

I forgot to mention that the loaners that they gave me were 2018 Ford Fusion Energi models. But, they are definitely working the numbers in their favor. Galpin has been around since 1946 and have about 10 brands they represent, so they know the business.

Regards,

GHTech

OK that works rather well. Fusions are sweet cars. Especially the Energi.

EVA said:
OK that works rather well. Fusions are sweet cars. Especially the Energi.

The only thing is that I charged up both cars, and the first one felt "sluggish" when I pressed the gas, like a regular car. The second car was charged twice, and on one occasion it felt like an electric car, and the other time like a gas car. On all the test, the EV Only option was selected. I missed the FFE during that time. But, totally agree the space, and comfort was much better.

Back