An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:40 am
Posts: 1033
Location: Toledo, Ohio
spirilis wrote:
Curious though, what was it about the 2014 cord that gave you hesitation? What parts appeared incompatible?


It's been a while but IIRC there were MOVs which assume were there as surge suppressors across the input that are not rated for 240V I know a little about basic electronics but looking at the circuit board most of it was over my head as far as figuring out what was what on the PCB. I had my Electrical Engineering friend who has experience with power supply design take a look at it and asked him if there was even a remote possibility that I could plug it in to 240V. He said nope it would go poof.

I'll have to dig it out and take another look.

Edit: Also to answer your question, the fact that it quite clearly said, "120V 12A 60Hz 1440W" on the EVSE.

_________________
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)


Last edited by triangles on Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:53 am
Posts: 154
Location: Maryland
triangles wrote:
spirilis wrote:
Curious though, what was it about the 2014 cord that gave you hesitation? What parts appeared incompatible?


It's been a while but IIRC there were MOVs which assume were there as surge suppressors across the input that are not rated for 240V I know a little about basic electronics but looking at the circuit board most of it was over my head as far as figuring out what was what on the PCB. I had my Electrical Engineering friend who has experience with power supply design take a look at it and asked him if there was even a remote possibility that I could plug it in to 240V. He said nope it would go poof.

I'll have to dig it out and take another look.

Yeah the big Q now is what is the part# for yours...

Mine is FM58-10B706-AJ per the label on the back

_________________
2017 Ford Focus Electric (Magnetic)
2017 Ford C-Max Energi SE (Kona Blue)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:24 am
Posts: 278
Location: Northeast Ohio
Somebody on the C-Max Energi was able to do this also.

http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/topic/73 ... r/?p=48331

_________________
2013 Focus Electric
2013 C-Max Energi
2013 Escape


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:53 am
Posts: 154
Location: Maryland
Pearl wrote:
Somebody on the C-Max Energi was able to do this also.

http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/topic/73 ... r/?p=48331

That was me fyi :)

_________________
2017 Ford Focus Electric (Magnetic)
2017 Ford C-Max Energi SE (Kona Blue)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:16 pm
Posts: 37
Location: PA
So, the "right" way to go about hooking this up would be to replace the 5-15 plug on the Ford charger and replace it with an IEC C14 or C20 inlet. Then you could run the proper power cable to the unit regardless of voltage / plug type. This is how my Zero Motorcycle and accessories run, and I already have the adapters to feed it.

If you go C14 you'll be near the power rating, and cheap computer cords will be tempting to plug in but will get hot and potentially burn up. Heavy duty 12 or 14 gauge ones would work. But I'd recommend going with C20 (using C19 plugs) which would give a little more overhead.

This obviously doesn't affect the "rating" of the EVSE itself, but would prevent goofy / non-standard wiring which might tempt some unsuspecting passer-by to accidentally plug something else into your 240v 5-15 adapter.

_________________
--
2017 Ford Focus Electric
2014 Zero S (motorcycle)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:40 am
Posts: 1033
Location: Toledo, Ohio
cecil-t what is the part number on your EVSE?

spirilis I'll check my part number tonite. If it's the same as yours I may plug it in and try it anyway. I had plans to put open evse guts into factory EVSE anyway. The only thing that sucks is that the OEM EVSE has such small wire. I think it was 16ga. which seems like it's pushing it for 12A The wire is rated for 600V so 240 should be no problem.

Edited: Corrected Amperage and voltage rating. I must not have been awake when I typed this as it wasn't remotely correct.

_________________
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)


Last edited by triangles on Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:53 am
Posts: 154
Location: Maryland
cecil-t wrote:
So, the "right" way to go about hooking this up would be to replace the 5-15 plug on the Ford charger and replace it with an IEC C14 or C20 inlet. Then you could run the proper power cable to the unit regardless of voltage / plug type. This is how my Zero Motorcycle and accessories run, and I already have the adapters to feed it.

If you go C14 you'll be near the power rating, and cheap computer cords will be tempting to plug in but will get hot and potentially burn up. Heavy duty 12 or 14 gauge ones would work. But I'd recommend going with C20 (using C19 plugs) which would give a little more overhead.

This obviously doesn't affect the "rating" of the EVSE itself, but would prevent goofy / non-standard wiring which might tempt some unsuspecting passer-by to accidentally plug something else into your 240v 5-15 adapter.

Yeah the only catch is there's some thermistor or similar inside the stock plug... might be nice to figure out exactly what that is, and replace it with a new one, but it would also be nice to retain the original functionality by embedding it in the C20 receptacle somehow. Probably not happening, so one would just terminate the thermistor circuit inside the EVSE box to fool the PCB.

_________________
2017 Ford Focus Electric (Magnetic)
2017 Ford C-Max Energi SE (Kona Blue)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:16 pm
Posts: 37
Location: PA
My part number, I assume is this: FM58-10B706-AJ

Manufacture date: 17133

_________________
--
2017 Ford Focus Electric
2014 Zero S (motorcycle)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:16 pm
Posts: 37
Location: PA
spirilis wrote:
Yeah the only catch is there's some thermistor or similar inside the stock plug...


Ah I see on the cable "3 COND 16 AWG & 2 COND 22 AWG 600V". OK I won't cut it off :)

_________________
--
2017 Ford Focus Electric
2014 Zero S (motorcycle)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:40 am
Posts: 1033
Location: Toledo, Ohio
So it looks like there are some 240V capable OEM EVSE's. Unfortunately I am certain mine is not one of them. From what I've gathered from cecil-t and spirilis the differences are as follows:

240V capable:
OEM EVSE part #FM58-10B706-AJ
- Has thermistor in plug. Plug end cord has the following on it (3 COND 16 AWG & 2 COND 22 AWG 600V) The 22 conductors for the thermistor which is probably an added safety feature to detect if the plug overheats.

NOT 240V CAPABLE:
OEM EVSE part #FM58-10B706-AF
- Has no thermistor in the plug (3 COND 16 AWG AWG 600V) ie. no wires for a thermistor

For the curious here's supporting info on how arrived at the above. First the part number:
Image
I believe the manufacture date (just out of frame in the picture) is in the format (year day of year). For example the manufacture date on mine is 14175. I got my FFE late in 2014 so it makes sense that my EVSE was made on the 175th day of 2014. Now for some geek porn.

The back of the circuit board:
Image
Front of the circuit board:
Image
In the image above, the power comes in on the left. I believe the object in the middle of the 3 blue things is the GFCI current transformer.
The blue things are varistors. One is across the line and neutral. I didn't verify but I speculate that the others go across line - ground and neutral - ground. The two blocks are the relays that connect power to car. I was surprised to see a current transformer on the line exiting the relay going to the car. Apparently there must be some logic that monitors how much current is actually being drawn while charging. The rest is mostly a mystery to me. I see a couple transformers and various other components that I assume are the power supply for the onboard logic and the current signal the EVSE sends to the car (blue wire).

Varistors (S20K150):
Image
Besides the fact that there are transformers and nothing resembling a switching power supply for the logic power supply, the Varistors on the input are what verified that this model is NOT capable of dual voltage. I looked up the data sheet here for the part number S20K150. This varistor is rated for 150V. For those that don't know what a varistor is for, or how it works, they are basically cheap circuit protection. In this case, when a voltage greater than 150V is encountered, the resistance drops to practically 0. Basically it sacrifices itself in a dead short, across the power input wires, in order to save the electronics down stream from high voltage spikes. Since there is a 150V varistor across the input, it would go poof if you plugged it into 240V.

cecil-t it might be a good idea to edit your first post with the part numbers to show which EVSE can and can't use 240V so some poor schmo with the older EVSE don't kill them trying to plug them in to 240V if they don't read this far before trying it.

_________________
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)


Last edited by triangles on Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
© Ford Focus Electric Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group