Kamroud

Remote Start with Myfordmobile

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:56 pm

After I charged my car (Thanks IKEA for free charge), I checked the app to see status. App gave me the latest status of the car including charge. At the bottom of the same screen, there were 3 options: Start, Lock and Unlock. So, I clicked the option to lock the car and then clicked on Start option to start the car (same screen). After a couple of seconds, the lights started flashing, fan started blowing with hi speed, nothing else happened. So the car did not start. I pushed the start button on the car and horn started in panic mode. So, turned off the horn. I thought, I made a mistake, did it for the second time and this time, tried to push the brake, again, the panic started with the horn making noises. Any idea? is this the right way to start the car remotely using the app? any assistance you may offer? Thanks

jmueller065

Re: Remote Start with Myfordmobile

Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:55 pm

Were you sitting in the car? (It doesn't like it if you're sitting in the car using the app)

Did you wait the few minutes for the app to sync in between hitting lock and start?

You don't have to hit lock first, it will automatically lock the doors when it attempts to start.
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

Kamroud

Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:21 pm

I'll try again with your suggestion, starting the car from outside to see what is happening. I have a Mercedes and installed a remote starter a few years ago, I can start the car from inside but the door must be closed. I use a remote starter app from Directed/Viper to start the MB. Thanks for your post.

EVA

Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:28 pm

Sorry have to ask - you remote started the car. The lights flashed, the fan started blowing, and nothing else happened. What were you expecting would happen? The car doesn't make any noise when it starts. The only reason you would use the remote start is to run the heater or A/C to get the car warm or cool.

And JMueller is right, you have to wait a while until the command works on the car. Lock and Unlock take a little while for those to actually happen.
2014 Platinum White FFE (Turning in mid Dec. 2016 25,000 miles)
2013 Ingot Silver FFE
2012 Titanium ICE Focus
2014 Tesla Model S 85

campfamily

Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:26 am

There are two ways to remote start your car. One is from the keyfob, but obviously you need to be within the range of the keyfob for this to work. The second is through the Ford app. That works from anywhere. I use this feature frequently. Part of my commute involves riding Metro. It's nice to be able to "start" the car a few minutes before I get off the train so that the A/C has had a chance to cool the car down before I get out to it.

Keith
GONE - 2015 FFE, Magnetic with leather interior, debadged & tinted
38,500 miles (since May 2015), average 246 Wh/mile

REPLACED WITH - 2018 Tesla Model3, LR RWD, Obsidian Black
20,000 miles (since Nov 2018), average 235 Wh/mile

Pearl

Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:20 am

What is the benefit of remote starting the FFE? You're just draining the traction battery to maybe slightly warm or cool the cabin. It's better to plug the car in and set a GO TIME, then you're using wall power.
2013 Focus Electric
2013 C-Max Energi
2013 Escape

spirilis

Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:26 am

Pearl wrote:What is the benefit of remote starting the FFE? You're just draining the traction battery to maybe slightly warm or cool the cabin. It's better to plug the car in and set a GO TIME, then you're using wall power.
The benefit is the same thing as GO times just done on-demand. I never use GO times, schedule is too erratic/unpredictable but I usually know 5-10 minutes ahead of time when I'm leaving (or when the wife & kids are leaving). I mostly use it in the morning when my wife's taking the kids to school, but she takes her good 'ole time getting ready, the kids are hot to trot, so I remote-start and help them get strapped into the car... they'll be sitting for a good 5-10 minutes before she's out the door. It keeps them warm or cool on utility power.

Could use GO times for the kiddos, but there's usually a +/-10 minute window for when they're ready to go.
2017 Ford Focus Electric (Magnetic)
2017 Ford C-Max Energi SE (Kona Blue)

scottt
Site Moderator

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:45 am

Remote start is one of the main reasons I got the car. Cabin is cool in the summer and warm in the winter (as I'm heading to the car from work).
2015 Magnetic FFE (aka Magneto) - Retired
2017 Kona Blue FFE (aka King Kona) - Current

Kamroud

Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:19 pm

Hi all, thanks for all of your responses and posts. Actually, today, I locked the car and moved away from the car for about 100 meters and then remotely started the car. Everything was working great and there was no panic horn either. Now I have another question for you experienced FFE drivers: how can I set the temperature and fan speed? the reason is that the fan was at high speed after the car start up while the interior was warm enough. Thanks

spirilis

Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:38 pm

Kamroud wrote:Hi all, thanks for all of your responses and posts. Actually, today, I locked the car and moved away from the car for about 100 meters and then remotely started the car. Everything was working great and there was no panic horn either. Now I have another question for you experienced FFE drivers: how can I set the temperature and fan speed? the reason is that the fan was at high speed after the car start up while the interior was warm enough. Thanks
There is only a little configurability for remote start that I've seen, in the dashboard menu left side there's a couple Remote Start options.

"Auto" basically does what you are describing IIRC, it's a sort of template HVAC setting that it will choose based on outside temp I think.
"Last settings" (might have that wording wrong) basically acts like you just turned on the HVAC power button. Consequently though, if the HVAC was turned off the last time you stopped the car, it won't turn on either during Remote Start IIRC.
2017 Ford Focus Electric (Magnetic)
2017 Ford C-Max Energi SE (Kona Blue)

Return to “Technical Discussions”