Focus EV Shows "Check Battery Charge"

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHTech

Hi!

I have a 2016 Ford Focus EV that has 7,500 miles on it. Recently after charging the car, the first time I started the car I got the red battery with a "Check Battery Charge" message. After I got to my destination and turned off the car, and restarted it, the message was gone. This has happened twice. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Emil 

GHTech said:
Hi!

I have a 2016 Ford Focus EV that has 7,500 miles on it. Recently after charging the car, the first time I started the car I got the red battery with a "Check Battery Charge" message. After I got to my destination and turned off the car, and restarted it, the message was gone. This has happened twice. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Emil 
12V battery maybe? Got a voltmeter handy for next time?

You could also get a 12V outlet to USB adapter that has a volt meter display. They're cheap, gives you an extra couple USB ports for charging, and you'll know the voltage from the 12V battery. I keep one in the glove compartment for when I suspect the 12V battery is acting up.

I've had plenty of 12V woes but I've never had anything like that on my '14. Make sure you're holding the start button down for at least 3/4 of a second or more. I have notice my car do weird things or give me random errors when I don't push the start button for long enough. I doubt that is your problem but it's one thing you can eliminate as a potential source.

Hi!

Just to give a update. I did purchase a USB Charger for the 12V outlet that had the volt meter (as suggested by EVA). When the car is off, it is at about 12.3V, and when the car is on it is at 14.7V. I assume that this is normal.

Regards,

GHTech

Yes GHTech that is normal. The 14.7V means the DC-DC converter is on and the 12v battery will charge. 12.3 is also normal but on the low end of normal. Resting voltage for the 12 volt batter should be about 12.3 to 12.6 volts. Don't worry that it's showing on the low end of normal. There's probably a tenth or two voltage drop between the battery and your 12v plug. Plus as cheap as those things are I wouldn't be surprised if they has some inaccuracy.

FYI I have also observed that while the car is off and the car is charging, I've measured the voltage at 13.3 or 13.5 (I don't remember what the exact tenth was) which I believe is the DC-DC converter slow or trickle charging the 12V battery. This makes sense as the logic controlling the charge port runs off 12v and you'd want to provide at least enough juice to power that while charging without putting a drain on the 12v battery.

Hi triangles!

Thanks for the confirmation. I will keep an eye out for the "Check Battery Charge" to see if it happens again.

Regards,

GHTech

triangles said:
Yes GHTech that is normal. The 14.7V means the DC-DC converter is on and the 12v battery will charge. 12.3 is also normal but on the low end of normal. Resting voltage for the 12 volt batter should be about 12.3 to 12.6 volts. Don't worry that it's showing on the low end of normal. There's probably a tenth or two voltage drop between the battery and your 12v plug. Plus as cheap as those things are I wouldn't be surprised if they has some inaccuracy.

FYI I have also observed that while the car is off and the car is charging, I've measured the voltage at 13.3 or 13.5 (I don't remember what the exact tenth was) which I believe is the DC-DC converter slow or trickle charging the 12V battery. This makes sense as the logic controlling the charge port runs off 12v and you'd want to provide at least enough juice to power that while charging without putting a drain on the 12v battery.

If you get the error again and you want to measure the voltage, it would be best to turn the car off and then read the 12V adapter. The longer the car is on, the more the battery will charge and subsequently mask the problem you are attempting to monitor.

If you don't have a meter with you, you can look at the amount of power that "other" is consuming. It is on one of the displays on the left of the speedo....just under the "climate" power if you are looking at the same screen I am. I've noticed recently as my 12V battery was dying, that the "other" would be abnormally high...usually just passing the first vertical line. Generally, when the car is on, "other" consumes about 1/4 of the distance to the first vertical line. But do note that heated seats and headlights will also impact "other". Anyway, if you are seeing large amounts of power under "other", then you can assume the battery might be taking a lot of that charge. You'll typically see this every time you start the car because of the amount drained while it was idle, but as you watch it from day to day, it will give you an idea when things are abnormal.

FYI I've also left the volt meter in the socket. The car turns the 12V off after 13 minutes on my car. I've heard others take as long as 30 mins to turn off. It comes back on as soon as you hit a lock/unlock on the fob or open the door. So you can leave it in and see the voltage when you get in the car before starting it.

triangles said:
FYI I've also left the volt meter in the socket. The car turns the 12V off after 13 minutes on my car. I've heard others take as long as 30 mins to turn off. It comes back on as soon as you hit a lock/unlock on the fob or open the door. So you can leave it in and see the voltage when you get in the car before starting it.

Thanks! I kept meaning to experiment with that.

Back