TrojanEV

Re: 2017 FFE range at speed

Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:21 pm

campfamily wrote:
TrojanEV wrote:What am I missing here? There is no way in the world my FFE would have between 105-117 miles of range if I drove at a constant 60-65 mph. Are people really achieving this kind of range? The longest trip I've attempted is a little over 80 miles and my FFE didn't quite make it (had to stop about 5 miles short of my destination).
You would have this range if you had a 2017 FFE. Those of us with 2016 and older FFEs are stuck with 75 miles on a good day. :-(
Ha! Totally missed that he was referencing the 2017 FFE! Makes way more sense now. Thanks for clarifying. Having these 2017 owners on the site is not going to be good for my range-envy!
2014 Blue Candy FFE

spirilis

Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:05 pm

TrojanEV wrote:What am I missing here? There is no way in the world my FFE would have between 105-117 miles of range if I drove at a constant 60-65 mph. Are people really achieving this kind of range? The longest trip I've attempted is a little over 80 miles and my FFE didn't quite make it (had to stop about 5 miles short of my destination).

Does anyone else notice that for really short trips their kWh usage can be through the roof? I have about a 1.5 mile trip home from work and it's uphill slightly (we live in the foothills) but nothing crazy. According to my trip log, my average economy is sometimes 350 to 450 kWh and I'm going at best 45-50 mph tops (probably averaging 35 mph). Going to work (so going downhill) it's much lower, but still in the 150 kWh range. I admit I'm not the most efficient EV driver, but my numbers seem pretty far off from the posted chart.
I see that all the time for short trips, both ways in fact, an uphill short drive will be like 400Wh/mi and a downhill around 150Wh/mi... I ignore those. Too little power used so there's probably some rounding error in the calculation.

FORScan Lite with a cheap bluetooth OBD-II dongle is a great tool to have. I see about 28.05kWh to empty when my battery is at 100%. Doing the math, at 250Wh/mi that's 112mi to drop dead, at 200Wh/mi (no expressway and no HVAC) 140mi, and at 333Wh/mi (expressway + heater in freezing temps) 84mi range. The battery has "4 months" of age on it according to one counter I found in the BECM module, and around 9K miles already (since July).
2017 Ford Focus Electric (Magnetic)
2017 Ford C-Max Energi SE (Kona Blue)

FiSh

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:31 am

spirilis wrote:
TrojanEV wrote: FORScan Lite with a cheap bluetooth OBD-II dongle is a great tool to have. I see about 28.05kWh to empty when my battery is at 100%. Doing the math, at 250Wh/mi that's 112mi to drop dead, at 200Wh/mi (no expressway and no HVAC) 140mi, and at 333Wh/mi (expressway + heater in freezing temps) 84mi range. The battery has "4 months" of age on it according to one counter I found in the BECM module, and around 9K miles already (since July).
Which OBD reader worked for you? I bought one which was supposed to work with Ford MS-CAN bus but it is not recognized properly in FORScan. Now I'm waiting for another one from China this time USB version, still not sure if it's gonna work. (and obviously, it won't work with FORScan Lite mobile app)
2017 FFE, Oxford White

spirilis

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:54 am

FiSh wrote:
spirilis wrote:
TrojanEV wrote: FORScan Lite with a cheap bluetooth OBD-II dongle is a great tool to have. I see about 28.05kWh to empty when my battery is at 100%. Doing the math, at 250Wh/mi that's 112mi to drop dead, at 200Wh/mi (no expressway and no HVAC) 140mi, and at 333Wh/mi (expressway + heater in freezing temps) 84mi range. The battery has "4 months" of age on it according to one counter I found in the BECM module, and around 9K miles already (since July).
Which OBD reader worked for you? I bought one which was supposed to work with Ford MS-CAN bus but it is not recognized properly in FORScan. Now I'm waiting for another one from China this time USB version, still not sure if it's gonna work. (and obviously, it won't work with FORScan Lite mobile app)
I can't confirm that it supports all the features, but I know I do have to plug it in to the OBD-2 port further back above the brake pedal... otherwise it seems to work OK for reading/erasing DTCs and pulling stats in the Dashboard.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJ ... UTF8&psc=1
(I have an android phone btw, and this uses bluetooth, not sure if that's the best for iPhone)
2017 Ford Focus Electric (Magnetic)
2017 Ford C-Max Energi SE (Kona Blue)

Pearl

Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:23 am

FiSh wrote:
spirilis wrote:
I bought the Vgate one, and have no issues with it. Connects every time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAOOQJC
2013 Focus Electric
2013 C-Max Energi
2013 Escape

FiSh

Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:51 am

spirilis wrote: I can't confirm that it supports all the features, but I know I do have to plug it in to the OBD-2 port further back above the brake pedal... otherwise it seems to work OK for reading/erasing DTCs and pulling stats in the Dashboard.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJ ... UTF8&psc=1
(I have an android phone btw, and this uses bluetooth, not sure if that's the best for iPhone)
I probably does not support MS-CAN.
I have a similar one which works fine with my other car (and the other one I replaced with FFE), but it does not connect to Android phone when inserted in any of 2 FFE ODB ports. I can pair it with the phone (asks for a pin and seems to pair correctly), but it's not connecting and Torque PRO and FORScan Lite do not see it. Works with Windows laptop and FORScan desktop app.
2017 FFE, Oxford White

triangles

Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:03 am

FiSh I use this USB one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F0GVBWY/ worked flawless with forscan and focccus is buggy as all hell. I couldn't get it to work hardly at all until I tweaked some port settings in windows. Now it works sometimes.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

Return to “Technical Discussions”