Mounting EVSE on Vinyl Siding

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcham93

Evening, all.

I have a question for you all. I'm installing an EVSE on the outside of my house. Problem is that the entire house is covered in vinyl siding. If it was just wood or concrete then I know how I would handle it, but I'm a bit lost here.

I see mounting blocks as a possible option, but they seem to require I pull off the siding to install them. Plus, I'm having trouble finding any that would be big enough to install the unit. I'm curious if it is possible/safe to pull off the vinyl siding in the area where I'm mounting the unit.

Has anyone gone through this process and have any good solutions?

Thanks!

Do some searching on youtube for how to work with vinyl siding. Assuming the siding isn't so old that it has become brittle and will crack/fall apart, the siding sort of snaps together. You could unhook some near where you want to mount the EVSE to get behind the siding. Then you will be able to determine if you have something solid to screw/bolt the EVSE to. Assuming there is something solid behind the siding where you want to mount the EVSE, you can simply screw thru the siding and attach the EVSE. Use calk or silicone to seal the screw penetrations. The hardware stores usually have a mounting "block" that the backside matches the contour of the siding for a more elegant look but matching your siding's color may be an issue.

triangles said:
Do some searching on youtube for how to work with vinyl siding. Assuming the siding isn't so old that it has become brittle and will crack/fall apart, the siding sort of snaps together. You could unhook some near where you want to mount the EVSE to get behind the siding. Then you will be able to determine if you have something solid to screw/bolt the EVSE to. Assuming there is something solid behind the siding where you want to mount the EVSE, you can simply screw thru the siding and attach the EVSE. Use calk or silicone to seal the screw penetrations. The hardware stores usually have a mounting "block" that the backside matches the contour of the siding for a more elegant look but matching your siding's color may be an issue.

Thanks! I figured out that I can indeed remove the vinyl siding to access the original wood behind it. I will be painting that portion white to match the color of the house and then will mount the EVSE. :)

FYi I've also seen hole cut and a block of wood protruding thru the hole in the siding which is then sealed, painted and caulked around the siding.

Back