Only 40 miles on the charge indicator

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pearsonkj94

Hello:

Thank you for this forum. Much appreciated to find this place.

New 2016 FFE acquired this week (silver with tan leather) for a great lease rate of $160 month out the door with no money down. After $2500 from the State of Ca and $600 from the utility company, it is damn near a free car for the first 20 months, especially since I have solar on my roof and a GE charger already in my garage. It will be a great run around town third car for the family and I. I have had a FIAT 500e for 2 years now and never a problem and love driving it everyday.

Question, after a full charge it only registers 40 miles on the blue battery indicator. Does this seem right? Drove it one day and the 40 miles was gone very quickly. Perhaps a different charge setting? What is value charge? Any direction would be much appreciated.

Thank you for any help in advance.

pearsonkj94 said:
Question, after a full charge it only registers 40 miles on the blue battery indicator. Does this seem right?
Depends. What is the current average Wh/mi for the car?

For a 40 mile estimate, the average Wh/mi is probably something like 475 Wh/mi. That's very high, but not impossible. It probably means somebody has been driving the car at 80 mph everywhere, plus blasting the heat.

Normally, the estimated range should be 70-80 miles, which would correspond to an average Wh/mi around 250, and a mix of city and freeway driving (at speeds more like 60 mph, rather than 80) and using heat sparingly.

how many miles on it ?
first few times on my '16 I had to leave it on charger for a few more hours ...seems like it was balancing the cells

make sure its on an L2 charger!

Take a look at the consumption chart in the Energy menu. If you see climate control sucking down a ton of juice, that's the heater.

Turn the HVAC system totally off and see if the guess o' meter goes up. Biggest non-propulsion draw in these cars is the heater, and unwitting drivers will use the auto climate control not knowing that it turns on the heater to get JUST the right temp.

ATL-FFE said:
Take a look at the consumption chart in the Energy menu. If you see climate control sucking down a ton of juice, that's the heater.

Turn the HVAC system totally off and see if the guess o' meter goes up. Biggest non-propulsion draw in these cars is the heater, and unwitting drivers will use the auto climate control not knowing that it turns on the heater to get JUST the right temp.

Even in the summer - yes even when it is hot outside, sometimes the car turns on the heater.

EVA said:
Even in the summer - yes even when it is hot outside, sometimes the car turns on the heater.
Yep - thats why my default climate control setup is temp=LO (no heater, only fan) and A/C off.

Back