Interesting Cold Weather Event

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert123

Finally got cold here and it snowed. The FFE has been parked for the past 3 days. Was in garage working on the AWD winter beater and got a text message from the Focus. 12v battery low. Plug in now. I finished what I was doing (about 20 minutes).

Opened the doors to the FFE and all heck broke loose so to speak. Relay started clicking. Brake lights turned on, no response on dash. Plugged in the level 2 charge and nothing. Click. Click. Click. .....

Went down to the barn and got a battery charger. Popped open hood and hooked it up set for 2 amps. No change. Increased to 6 amps. No change. Click. Click. Click. Relay still raising heck. Brakes lights did turn off though. No response on dash.

Got a voltage meter. 8.5 volts on the 12v battery. What the heck????

Went back to barn and got the jump box. Hooked it up and the car went back to normal. Level 2 charger kicked in. Battery charger shut down after about 4-10 min saying battery was charged. Apparently, the level 2 charger was now charging the 12v battery based on the voltage at the battery.

OK... so I assume the 12v was drained due to features trying to keep the big battery warm? Do we need to keep these cars plugged up to the charger during the winter?

Oh Robert, those horrible memories, thank you for that.

What you described is exactly what happens when the 12V battery dies. All the clicking and other noises. It is a nightmare I wish you hadn't reminded me of.

OK, that was from two years ago. There was a software update that solved the problem. My Ford dealer did some wonderful things and sort of faked the warranty replacement for my 12V battery. It was a goodwill gesture because I was concerned that my 12V battery was damaged by going to that low voltage you mentioned.

If the car is brand new and under warranty, sadly you should of had it towed to your dealer and let them fix the battery. Now that you have charged it, they can't really replace the battery under warranty (when they get the car, the battery will check out perfect).

If the car is an older one you just acquired - buy a new 12V battery and have the software update done at the dealer. There was a recall or technical service bulletin to fix that problem.

So sorry to hear you went through that. A 12V lead acid battery that has been that far discharged should probably be replaced.

Thanks for the info on the software update. Truly appreciated. I'll get it taken care of. I thought about the dealer, but I couldn't stand hearing that relay so I had to do what I could to shut the car up.

Interesting, today when I left church for the grocery store the car notified me of the left dash pod something like "its cold outside. Be sure to keep plugged in when not driving."

LOL, thanks FORD. Got that one figured out now :D

We haven't had the car long, and it's rare when it isn't used every day. It just so happened that I had to get a load of poulty feed one day (drove the truck), got the daughter's car lined up the second day, and snow hit on day 3 (very rare event here) so i drove the AWD vehicle. Wasn't cold when this cycle started, so I had never seen the message before. I live in SC. It doesn't get into the 20's here very often at all, let alone approach single digits :eek:. BURRRR. I live down here for a reason ;)

Software update is definately on the horizon. Car reminded me again this morning when I got to work. No outlets around here, so I'll probably take it out at lunch to insure the 12v stays topped off. High is only supposed to be 32 F today, but southern weather returns tomorrow :). Looking to take it in on Thursday. Thanks again.

Robert123 said:
We haven't had the car long, and it's rare when it isn't used every day. It just so happened that I had to get a load of poulty feed one day (drove the truck), got the daughter's car lined up the second day, and snow hit on day 3 (very rare event here) so i drove the AWD vehicle. Wasn't cold when this cycle started, so I had never seen the message before. I live in SC. It doesn't get into the 20's here very often at all, let alone approach single digits :eek:. BURRRR. I live down here for a reason ;)

Software update is definately on the horizon. Car reminded me again this morning when I got to work. No outlets around here, so I'll probably take it out at lunch to insure the 12v stays topped off. High is only supposed to be 32 F today, but southern weather returns tomorrow :). Looking to take it in on Thursday. Thanks again.

And don't panic that the car needs to be plugged in all the time. My car is parked outside each workday (not plugged in), and no issues last winter or this winter with the 12V battery.

and, now that my modem has been replaced, I can remote start and heat it before I get back in the evenings :)

My car lived like that the entire time I had it: Sat unplugged every day at work. I think I had to charge the 12V battery up only once, but I think that was something I did..was a bit ago (before the software update to fix the 12V issue).

scottt said:
And don't panic that the car needs to be plugged in all the time. My car is parked outside each workday (not plugged in), and no issues last winter or this winter with the 12V battery.
My FFE sat out in the cold northern Ohio from before Turkey day until after Christmas. I was getting rid of my old car so I parked my FFE and used the old car full time until it was scheduled to be my nephew's first car. My FFE was not fully charged when parked and left unplugged outside the whole time. I kept waiting for the dreaded "12v low" text that never came.

Robert123 said:
Got a voltage meter. 8.5 volts on the 12v battery. What the heck????

Went back to barn and got the jump box. Hooked it up and the car went back to normal. Level 2 charger kicked in. Battery charger shut down after about 4-10 min saying battery was charged. Apparently, the level 2 charger was now charging the 12v battery based on the voltage at the battery.

I don't think I would trust this 12v battery without getting it checked out (load test, etc.). Very little juice is required to start the FFE compared to cranking an ICE. I had a very sick 12v battery for a while that still managed to start the car most of the time. It eventually degraded to the point of, apparently, having <1 amp-h capacity remaining. If it had been recently topped up by the DC-DC converter from driving around, or topped up with an external charger, it could start the car just fine. OTOH, if the car was off for more than a little while, the 12v would be too depleted to operate the relays to hook up the traction battery. The voltage drop while starting was ridiculous.

I have a new 2016 FFE.

It got down to 3 degrees here.

Worked great. Mileage suffered of course.

The mileage dropped to 45 fully charged.

But the car did great in the cold and snow.

Very pleased with the car.

Looking to lease or purchase a 2017 FFE.

Milam said:
I have a new 2016 FFE.

It got down to 3 degrees here.

Worked great. Mileage suffered of course.

The mileage dropped to 35 fully charged.

But the car did great in the cold and snow.

Very pleased with the car.

Looking to lease or purchase a 2017 FFE.
I am confused, Did you buy your 2016 new very recently or used, seems like the 2017 is only a few months out.
My 2016 has over 16,000 miles so I feel like at 2017 will be worth (assuming I can get some on the trade)

Mine was a California Buy Back.
It had 826 miles on it.
I paid roughly 50% of the sticker price.
Came with Leather.

I bought this car as a play toy.
I have found, that it is actually not only fun to drive, but works great.

Yes, I may order a 2017.
The extra range would be nice.

Pleasantly surprised.

Someone on the Forum suggested that larger battery packs may be possible.
But I have called several dealers, looking for a 2017.

Have the 2017 been put into production yet?

My dealer has a confirmed order on a 2017FFE as of last week and I'd assume we are less than 90 days out.

I'd be slightly under 20k after the fed tax credit. Not sure I can get 10k for my used one though (16,000 miles).

Same dealer I bought my buyback orphan from. Same experience too with customer service. Nice folks.

FYI.. I think they move a lot of the CA FFE buybacks. They had two when I got mine.

Last June I purchased a used 2013 FFE from a local independent dealer. They buy at various auction lots. Mine was originally shipped to a dealer in Roswell, NM and leased by a individual in Wichata, KS. I have to Maroney label which shows the original destination and the previous owner neglected to clear out his info from the navigation and phone book. I contacted him thru Facebook so he had the option of ignoring me but he did respond and gave me some info about his time with the car. 2 year lease and only put on 15300 miles. I've had it 6 months and have already put on 10K. I'm going to replace the 12 volt battery soon. what about an Optima deep cycle?

The 2017's started production in late November, and last I checked in December, the first to Canada were completed and waiting.
It should be any day now that I get the call to come and see it (I have first right of refusal on what I believe is the first to Canada).

I'll report back when I have more info.

I have a 2013 FFE and live in cold climate in Norway (same winter temperature as Alaska). Since I bought it 5 years ago the car refuse to charge at temp's below 0 C (freezing). It gives a yellow key sign and it runs normal, but can't charge even if it is always plugged into my home AC supply. Has been delivered to dealer but they have no suggestion for solution except replace the charger port. However, charger port is 100% OK when temp is above 0 C. I have charged and used the car for 5 years, only problem is sub-zero temperature.
I have given up this car for winter use, I have reliable Dodge cars for winter use. Next BEV will not be a Ford.

Back