Unofficial Sync3 v2.2 Update for 2016s (Carplay/AA)

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still havent upgraded. Ran out of time yesterday. It was taking longer than the 20-30mins most reported when i tried during my commute from work. I did try a really old USB drive so maybe that's why similar to others reports. I will update today when i have more time. Local dealer here in Canada has ordered the USB module and said it will be in within the week so will also update then. Part here in canada he said was $100CDN.

Upgrade worked fine... USB stick was the key. I switched to another newer one and the upgrade completed in about 20 mins. Once completed a did the full turn off car, open door, wait for everything to shutdown then restarted car as directed by the install completed message. Once turned back on everything was updated and works as normal except for the navigation. You need to give it some time to do its thing. After about 20 mins i got to my destination and once i returned to my car and started it up navigation was back to normal.

So good news for those who want v2.2 this looks to be a safe early upgrade. Ill provide another update when the upgraded USB module comes in and i get it installed to confirm if carplay works. I do now have Android Auto options but i dont have an Android phone to test it.

Interesting. Thanks for reporting on your experience.

But, are there EV specific features still present?

For example, is there a way to set "GO Times" and charging profiles?

And, after setting a destination in the navi, are you prompted whether you will charge the battery upon reaching it? (Which affects the "Status/Surplus" behavior.)

WattsUp said:
And, after setting a destination in the navi, are you prompted whether you will charge the battery upon reaching it? (Which affects the "Status/Surplus" behavior.)
Does Sync3 still do that in the FFE? It doesn't in my C-Max but then I don't know if C-Max/Fusion Energi's ever had such functionality.

Sync3 is missing some features that MFT had (like "send address to the car from mapquest").

I would expect the EV/PHEV features to still be present given the experiences of others with that update (just reading through that thread posted) in addition all the MFT updates were the same files--there was no vehicle specific files (I used the same thumbdrive to update my old FFE and my wife's Escape once).

WattsUp said:
Interesting. Thanks for reporting on your experience.

But, are there EV specific features still present?

For example, is there a way to set "GO Times" and charging profiles?

Yes I still have the GO Time settings and all EV details in my settings. It also still prompted me if I would be charging at my destination. With a few minor changes I didn't notice anything missing but still unable to test carplay until my module comes in. I do however wish there was a map update as my map is really out of date for my area.

I have done this and it isn't missing any EV specifics. I have the hub installed and CarPlay is working perfectly. My only complaint is that you can't use the Sync maps while using CarPlay. You have to use Apple Maps.
I got the hub here http://www.eastgatefordpartscanada.ca/oe-ford/hu5z19a387a

This may work for me since the sync map is out of date for me (missing new major highways) and doesn't provide any traffic information.
Thanks for the link for anyone looking in Canada for the part!

shniestEV said:
Yes I still have the GO Time settings and all EV details in my settings. It also still prompted me if I would be charging at my destination. With a few minor changes I didn't notice anything missing but still unable to test carplay until my module comes in. I do however wish there was a map update as my map is really out of date for my area.
And, if one doesn't care about CarPlay, what are the benefits besides a new UI?

Does it run faster? Seem less buggy?

Does the voice recognition work the same way?

WattsUp said:
And, if one doesn't care about CarPlay, what are the benefits besides a new UI?

Does it run faster? Seem less buggy?

Does the voice recognition work the same way?

This is all I got. I did notice my phone connected icon was no longer a bluetooth symbol and was the actual connection/signal bars... but i haven't played around enough to confirm what exactly the changes below have actually changed or improved:

-----
Change Log:
Sync 3 2.2.6

This software release is the latest update in our continued efforts to improve system performance, device connectivity, and the overall SYNC experience.

This software contains the following enhancements:

Updated voice recognition engine.
Bluetooth phone, media, and Wi-Fi improvements.
Navigation user interface improvements (if equipped).
Android Auto for supported devices.
Apple CarPlay for supported devices. Owners of 2016 models with SYNC 3 are required to perform a software upgrade and purchase a hardware upgrade through your dealer.

The installation of this update will take up to 60 minutes to complete. DO NOT remove your USB drive or turn off your vehicle. You must wait until Installation Complete is displayed on the center screen before removing your drive or turning your vehicle off. Be sure your vehicle engine is running (not in accessory mode) throughout the entire installation process. Although your vehicle must be in park when you initiate the installation process, once the download process has begun, you may drive your vehicle.
-----

Hi!

Just did the update, and it went fine. I have not messed with it much. This was on a 2016 FFE.

Regards,

GHTech

I am new to this forum.

Have an early production 2016 FFE.

To update my Sync.
I need

1. Software update?
2. Hardware update?

What about a Navigation update?

Is the above captioned items correct?

Thanks,

Tom

Navigation is by SD card you have to purchase. Your 2016 is probably in perfect shape. My reasoning with buying the chips is only every other release. I think Ford is up to letter D now. There was a new release in the last 3 or 4 months. With a 2016, you don't need it.

The chips are $150.

There is NO way to update the maps manually or hack them. Even the SD card cannot be used after you replace it - don't even bother trying, it is locked up.

Milam said:
1. Software update?
2. Hardware update?

What about a Navigation update?

I have one of the early 2016's as well. The link i provided will give you the information for both the software and hardware upgrade. The software update you can do now but if you want carplay you will need to purchase the hardware. If you want Android Auto the software upgrade is all you need.

Navigation map updates are separate. In the 2016 they would be via USB or Wifi. No more SD card slot. Im sure this is a separate purchase. I've been asking ford this for awhile as I have had my 2016 for over a year now with the same map and its badly out of date for my area. Navigation interface i believe has updates just not the map.

I think some of those links in the original post might have info. It sounds like it pops out pretty easy just dont drop the cables inside or you will have to fish them out. I can give more information if/when mine shows up and I do it...

Here is a FocusRS video doing the USB swap... it s probably the same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQI0oBv0jC4

USB hub installed... it was easy to remove.. i had trouble pulling out the long connector but otherwise once the 3 cables were disconnected it was easy to connect and pop the new one in...
Carplay working.... :D

Sorry no youtube video!

carplay.jpg

shniestEV

Thank you for the help.

I have an early 2016 FFE. I have upgraded the software to 2.2
The dealership is doing the modem and transaxle updates now.
They will install the new USB Hub at the same time.

I will let you know.

Back