Cabin preheat via remote start blows cold air...

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimB_FFE

Whenever I try to use the remote to preheat the car when it's cold, I get into the car and it's blowing cold air. I have the temperature set to "Auto" and the defrost off.

When driving, I have the temp set to LO and the A/C off. I can get it to blow hot air if I turn the heat up just before turning off the car.

This is on my 2015. The 2012 I had before heated the cabin just fine regardless of the temperature setting.

What am I missing?

You have to go into the settings and tell the car what to do on remote start. I don't remember the menu sequence off the top of my head but I have mine set to "auto" which will turn on the AC if it's hot out or heat when it is cold out. Use the left screen/steering wheel keypad to navigate and find this setting.

JimB_FFE said:
There are two options:
1. Last settings
2. Auto
It's set to auto.

Auto (if memory serves) should default to 72 degrees. It's what I have mine set to, no issues.

My "Go Time" would not work when I first got my Focus EV. It is still under factory warranty so I took it in to the local Ford dealer. They found a defective "modem'. Replaced it and now I can set the system. Looks like there are only 3 choices in temp settings-65F, 72F or 85F. I set it at 72F and 15 minutes prior to my depart time. Sometimes I go to work a few minutes early and the system is still running. Pull the plug and it shuts down. Nice and warm.

CWD said:
[...] Pull the plug and it shuts down. Nice and warm.
Off-topic, but just checking: I hope you squeeze the little lever on top of the connector and pause for a second (or so), to let the EVSE turn its power off before you "pull the plug". That avoids dragging the contacts while drawing heavy current (and maybe arcing a bit), which should help your connectors last better.

This drove me so nuts! I searched on google for it and found the answer finally!!! I felt your pain so I joined just to answer you!! lol!! I do not have an electric and mine is 2013 so I pray it's the same on yours as on mine. I was choosing the temperature first and then hitting auto...it's the other way around according to Ford haha!!! https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/climate-control/auto-climate-controls-escape-focus-c-max.html?year=2013&model=Focus&sync=syncMy So, I hope it helps!!

Are you plugged into a level 2 charger? The car can't draw enough power from a level 1 charger to run the heater and keep the battery at 100%. It will prioritize the battery.

Omen87 said:
Are you plugged into a level 2 charger? The car can't draw enough power from a level 1 charger to run the heater and keep the battery at 100%. It will prioritize the battery.

Oh darn that sounds like the sad voice of experience. I hope you get your 240 V charging station installed soon.

EVA said:
Omen87 said:

Oh darn that sounds like the sad voice of experience. I hope you get your 240 V charging station installed soon.

Haha, oh it is. But it only lasted a few days. I have a JuiceBox 40 installed in my garage now!

Back