GHTech

Problem Moving from a Stop

Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:31 pm

Greetings!

We have a FFE 2016 with about 3,200 miles on it. I have had a problem happen twice (once yesterday and once about a month ago) where after I reverse the car out of a parking spot, and put it into Drive, the car does not move. Moved it to Park, and then to Drive, no difference. Tried turning the car off and on, and then Drive does not work. After trying for about 2 minutes, it starts working. Weather has been warm (Southern California). Don’t see any other issues at all. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

GHTech

WattsUp

Re: Problem Moving from a Stop

Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:00 pm

Was the green ready-to-drive light lit?

Sometimes you can fool yourself into thinking the car is working if you can just "roll" out of a spot due a slight incline (with the ready-to-drive light not actually on).

The ready-to-drive light might not come on if you shift out of park too quickly after turning the car on. This is a relatively common problem for FFE owners, especially new.

After you turn on the car, always verify that the green ready-to-drive light is lit before doing anything else. Over time, you learn to make it a habit to give the car a second or two after pressing the power button. Then, the "not ready-to-drive" issue doesn't really happen anymore. :)
2013 FFE, Platinum White, Delivered January 2013
2017 MS, Midnight Silver Metallic, Delivered February 2017
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

GHTech

Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:30 pm

WattsUp wrote:Was the green ready-to-drive light lit?

Sometimes you can fool yourself into thinking the car is working if you can just "roll" out of a spot due a slight incline (with the ready-to-drive light not actually on).

The ready-to-drive light might not come on if you shift out of park too quickly after turning the car on. This is a relatively common problem for FFE owners, especially new.

After you turn on the car, always verify that the green ready-to-drive light is lit before doing anything else. Over time, you learn to make it a habit to give the car a second or two after pressing the power button. Then, the "not ready-to-drive" issue doesn't really happen anymore. :)
Hi WattsUp!

Thank you for the response. The Ready-to-Drive was on. First thing I checked as I have been "tricked" in the past. Even though we have only 3,200 miles on it, we have had the car for 7 months. Most of our runs are close to 1 - 2 miles. All our longer runs are in our Honda Odyssey.

Regards,

GHTech

Erik

Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:06 am

I can attest to this behavior. I've encountered it twice in my three years.
Both times I just turned it back off and waited a couple minutes. Was fine after that.
2013 Honda Fit EV
2014 FFE White Platinum
2015 C-Max Energi

fbitz777

Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:22 am

I have seen it a couple of times on my 2016 too...just a matter of waiting it out or turning off/on a few times

I think I saw that on my 2014 as well
2014 FFE ..replaced with a 2016 FFE by Ford. Loved it...sold early 2017
2017 Tesla X75 2017 Bolt EV Premier

GHTech

Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Hi!

My concern would be that if one reverses out, and cannot get out of the way of on-coming traffic due to this issue. So, it looks like it is not restricted to a certain model year.

Regards,

GHTech

adnan1980

Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:03 am

Happened to me few times last year, mine is 2015. Once it was a Panic, I was reversing and everything locked or non responsive, the drive light was on. My car was moving down the drive way and then I turn to see a school bus was coming, shoot I hit the foot break didn't work, quick thinking got me to pull the emergency break then the car stopped. I waited for 5 min then the car started.
2015 Focus Electric Tectonic Region 4 adnan1980

GHTech

Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:39 am

Hi!

Has anyone got a response from the Service Department about this issue? I have to take mine in for the recall, and will ask them to check. But, it would be good to have as much info as possible.

Thanks,

GHTech

Pearl

Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:58 am

100% of the time for me, with my Focus and C-Max Energi, it has been operator error !
Check the GREEN Ready To Drive light !!
2013 Focus Electric
2013 C-Max Energi
2013 Escape

GHTech

Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:34 pm

Hi!

Problem showed up again. Green car was on, and the 2016 FFE would not move forward or backwards. I was in a parking lot that is flat. Tried it a few times, and then after about 5 minutes, the car moved. I did turn off the automatic headlights and radio off after trying a few times. Suggestions?

Thanks,

GHTech

Return to “Technical Discussions”