How to force extensive re-balance of battery

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbitz777

when new my car would spend lots of time re-balancing the cells ...I could see this on the charger with a blinking light for an hour at least

I have not seen this balancing taking place...any way besides going to Ford dealer to force an comprehensive re-balance?

my battery has dropped from 20.5 to 19kwh in only a few charges (at 15,000miles that is) and I am suspicious.

fbitz777 said:
my battery has dropped from 20.5 to 19kwh in only a few charges (at 15,000miles that is) and I am suspicious.
Battery capacity varies with temperature. Is it getting colder where you live?

no, its been pretty warm in the 70s still ...I still hear the cooling going on when charging.
my car has not gone through a deep cold spell.

The sudden loss of 1+kwh is a lot but again I was doing well above average at 20 to 20.5

I don't think there is any way or any need to force an "extensive" rebalance. Rebalancing simply means that at the end of the charge cycle, all the cells are charged up to the target Voltage. This happens automatically.

What you are seeing is normal battery fade if it's at normal temperature. 8% over 15K miles...that seems reasonable.

Here in northern Ohio my range is dropping due to the cooler temps. My power usage is up in the 290's Wh/mi Even before the temps dropped This summer after about 7k miles I the most I'd get out of a charge was 19kWh. I'd say at 15K miles you are doing just fine. You aren't that far from me so I suspect you are noticing the same thing I am.

Back