Horrible Squeak in the Rear

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HocusPocus

I've got a horrible squeak in the rear of my '16 Focus Electric. Can't find anything rubbing inside - it seems to be related to the rear suspension. It started out only on bumps but now, especially first thing in the morning, it is a loud creak/squeak with any sway of the vehicle. I found a Ford Focus forum that described much frustration and chasing down the culprit as E-brake lines rubbing against eye hooks on their way to each wheel. I stuffed myself under my car but I could not find what they were describing. There are two lines that go into each wheel but they are soft rubber and they don't go through eye holes. Everything is in quite new condition so I don't think the rubber has worn off away. Most of the underside of the car is covered with some kind of solid mat. I found one person on this forum that said they had the dealer replace a shock absorber which fixed a squeak like this.

Has anyone run into this issue?

2016-08-03%2016.38.10.jpg

2016-08-03%2016.38.22.jpg

jmueller065 said:
There is a TSB on all Focuses with a clunk in the shock tower--but its on the front.
A clunk, or a low-pitched creak?

Mine makes a creaking sound (from the front) whenever I go over a speed bump, or uneven pavement, or even just turning in a parking lot.

Even when stopped, it can sound like I'm getting in or out of a stagecoach with the noise that's made as the suspension moves with the change in weight.

Does anybody know what the remedy is? I heard they just apply grease somewhere, the problem goes away for two weeks, and then comes back just the same.

WattsUp said:
A clunk, or a low-pitched creak?
I'm pretty sure it was a clunk: The nut on the top of the shock tower would get loose allowing it to bounce around on rough pavement. (I know this because this was one of the many many issues my coworker's FFE suffered.)

My 2016 Focus EV developed a loose, squeaking, creaking noise in the rear after 1,200 miles which sounded like the rear hatch wasn't closed. It would be most noticeable at low-to-mid range speeds while transitioning over bumps and road irregularities. FORD used a sound sensing device to determine where it was generating from. Turns out it was the right rear shock. After replacement ..... All was Back to Good!

WattsUp said:
Mine makes a creaking sound (from the front) whenever I go over a speed bump, or uneven pavement, or even just turning in a parking lot.

Even when stopped, it can sound like I'm getting in or out of a stagecoach with the noise that's made as the suspension moves with the change in weight.

Does anybody know what the remedy is? I heard they just apply grease somewhere, the problem goes away for two weeks, and then comes back just the same.
This is one of the issues that I have just lived with. I didn't know about the TSB to fix it the last time my FFE was at the dealer & it hasn't been to the dealer in over a year now. With my lease ending this month I decided at the start of the spring that I wasn't going to mess with it.

Back