Installation Error | SYNC Software Update

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awefulspeller

Has anyone experienced an installation error with the latest SYNC software update? I've tried to install from multiple different USB drives and multiple SD cards. I even tried downloading the software a second time.

Here is a pic...

Hmm, yup.

That version (EA5T-14D544-AD - V3.8E) is what I have installed on my FFE. Did it last October when it came out. I had no issues. I used a USB drive.

Some questions/thoughts:

How are you downloading the files?
How are you transferring them onto your USB drive/SD card?
How much room do your drives/cards have available?
Is there anything else on them?
Have you tried reformatting them first?

It could be the size of the jump drive. It could be that a large drive that's over 32 GB could a problem.

All,

Thanks for your responses...

Downloaded the files from the MyFord Touch website. I log in with my username and password, brings me to the owner page and from there I download the Sync Update Zip file.

I transfer using Finder on a Mac, I’ve also tried using Windows Explorer. I’ve tried to copy the entire update folder onto the drive, unzipping the folder and putting the contents onto the drive, and both the folder and files onto the drive.

The cards have anywhere from 50Mb to 6Gb free after the update is put on the card. The last update that I installed, I used the thumb drive that Ford sent me as a gift for purchasing the FFE.

I’ve tried drives with other files on them, and tried formatting the drives to FAT.

I’m going to look into how to remove the current software and re-install.

I just read on Ford Sync there is an update to my FFE as well. I noted that the instructions said that the USB drive must be formatted FAT32 and that no other files exist on the drive. I wonder if either is an issue?

Below is copied off the website.

You have an update available. Please note you will need a USB drive in order to proceed. This update is compatible with A3, A4, A5, A6 and A7 SD cards only. If you're currently using an A1 or A2 SD card, request a new SD card by calling 800-392-3673. (First, choose your language preference; then select Option 3 > Option 1.)

2. You will need a USB storage drive to transfer the software update files from your computer to your vehicle.

Make sure the USB storage drive:
◾is empty
◾can hold at least 2 GB of data
◾is not password protected
◾is formatted FAT32

Update on this subject.
I finally downloaded the free zip utility '7zip' to unzip the 'Sync my ride' files for the software update.
I did so and transferred to a blank 4gb USB drive.
The update installed correctly without a problem. I received and sent Ford Sync the confirmation file it writes to the USB drive. The car and the website both said that the software update installed successfully.

Now my 12v battery goes dead if I leave the car off for more than an hour.
I did the update on Sat, June 18th. Then drove the car only 1-4 mi a day, not even every day, for the week of June 19th to the 25th. No charging done as the HV battery was hardly used.
Then Monday, June 27th I went to use the car in the morning. No start. Just clicking of the relays front and rear, and other weird behavior. Random lighting and cabin fan operation.
Plugging in my level 2 charger allowed the car to start. Then operated fine as long as it was started.
Now, I have to jump start it every time I use it. The L2 charger won't bring it to life. I receive constant MFM text alerts that the 12V battery is low, and to plug the car into the charger.

I have an appointment Tues, July 5th.
Now that the 12v battery has been routinely run to the ground, I hope they replace it.

Bottom line. Sync 2 V3.8 installed on 6/18/16 caused my FFE to fail for the first time.
The car had Sync 2 V3.7 when I first got the car in August of 2014. This was the first software update since I got the car.
And the first time the car failed me.

It is not possible for an MFT update to affect the car's "real" software (which only the dealer can change). The MFT computer is a glorified radio, and doesn't control any of the car's drivetrain systems (as proof, you can pull the fuse on the MFT computer and still drive the car normally).

Your 12V battery problems are likely just an unfortunate coincidence.

Thanks Wattsup.
Is the Sync update considered a MFT update? It was specifically called Sync.
But yes, Sync is just the bells and whistles in the cabin. Not the ECM. Your probably right. But what a coincidence!
My FFE has had a recall since I got it. Even though it has been to the dealer several times, they seem to have not taken care of it on their own accord.
Last updated 07/03/2016
We found the following field service action listed on your vehicle.

VIN: 1FADP3R45EL355830
FSA Title: SYNC WITH MYFORD/MYLINCOLN TOUCH - WARRANTY EXTENSION COVERING ACCESSORY PROTOCOL INTERFACE MODULE (APIM)
Field Service Action Number: 12M02

Whatever. It's embarrassing to have to jump start an electric car.
Good thing I had previously bought one of those small Lithium jump start batteries.

Yeah, by MFT, I meant SYNC... all the same stuff.

I agree, it is a bizarre coincidence. I suppose one thing that perhaps an MFT update could do is change the MFT computer behavior in such a way that it could drain the 12V battery (by staying on after the ignition is off). But, I don't know of anybody else reporting such a problem.

SpecVStrom said:
My FFE has had a recall since I got it. Even though it has been to the dealer several times, they seem to have not taken care of it on their own accord.
That recall item you posted:
FSA Title: SYNC WITH MYFORD/MYLINCOLN TOUCH - WARRANTY EXTENSION COVERING ACCESSORY PROTOCOL INTERFACE MODULE (APIM)
Isn't an "actionable" recall item: It is simply extending the warranty coverage on the My Ford Touch module. Every car with MFT that we have had has had that "recall" item on it (We've had 4 vehicles with MFT on them since 2011 when MFT was released).

Thus its not like the dealer can "do anything about it".

You might try to get your Ford dealer to update your FFE's firmware to the latest version.
My 2014 FFE was also having 12v battery issues last year, but when I took my FFE in to do one of the listed recall issues, that included updating the firmware and since then my 12v battery has stayed charged perfectly and I monitor the voltage daily with a plug in meter into the accessory port.

Thanks All,

It WAS a coincidence about the Sync update and the 12v battery issue.
So, they said it was the battery becoming defective, and they replaced it under warranty. It seems fine now.
About the firmware update, I think I'll leave it alone as long as it continues to function correctly.
Yes, they explained it is a warranty extension on the APIM and not a recall. I just wish they would display that info under a different category.
I've had the car since August 2014 and it has been dependable and fun.
But, I am leasing it and I plan to give it back at the end of the lease. The buyout price is too high.
My friend has an early half hold on a Tesla model 3 and has changed his mind. He offered his spot to me at the $1K face value.
Plus, the Karma is coming out soon.
I'll live with my bikes and Spec-V until then.

I would suggest you closely monitor the new 12v battery charge level so see if the FFE keeps it fully charged.
On my 2014 FFE before the firmware update it would not charge the 12v battery unless the car was started, so after a few days without running the car in the garage the 12v battery level would go down.
I got a cheap plugin voltmeter for the 12v accessory port to monitor the voltage daily to catch it before it discharged too far.
I also have a good Sears external 12v car battery charger in my garage and carry a lithium car battery starter in the car for emergencies.
But since the firmware update a few months ago, my 12v battery has kept it charge in the garage even if I didn't drive the car for a week - stays about 12.3Volts now.

NightHawk,

Thank you for the good suggestions.
Luckily, from reading on this forum, I thought to buy one of those compact lithium jump start batteries and that is what got me through this bout with the 12V battery.
I knew the 12v is only charging when the car is on, but it has worked fine for 18 months. Granted, I am riding bikes more often and driving this car less than ever before, but I would expect the 12v battery to hold up. I drive the Sentra even less, and it always has battery power.
I will pick up a powerport voltmeter though, just because it's cool. I have voltmeters on my bikes.

PS My lease is up August of 2017

awefulspeller said:
Has anyone experienced an installation error with the latest SYNC software update? I've tried to install from multiple different USB drives and multiple SD cards. I even tried downloading the software a second time.

Here is a pic...

YES, mine did the same thing, took it to Ford, they fixed it free.

SpecVStrom said:
My friend has an early half hold on a Tesla model 3 and has changed his mind. He offered his spot to me at the $1K face value.
FYI tesla will not allow you to take over your friends spot in line. The reservations are non-transferable. Your friend would have to buy the car and then sell it to you.

Back