P0C4A - Hybrid Battery Pack Coolant Pump Performance

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breeves002

So I did my every-so-often scan for codes last night and besides the usual silly ones I had this odd gem. P0C4A - Hybrid Battery Pack Coolant Pump Performance. Reading about this code on a Volt forum a few people say the car needs to go to the dealer for it but I didn't see any resolutions after someone brought it in.

It seems this code is set when the PCM thinks the battery temp doesn't change fast enough. This is based on the outside temperature, coolant temperature, battery temperature, and coolant pump commanded duty cycle.

Wondering if it should go in? I need them to bring it to the body shop to fix the mis aligned door and have my hood repaired where it chipped due to rubbing.

I have gotten this code (also using FORscan).

I think one of my temperature sensors has gone bad, as sometime I get warnings (from the car) that my battery is "severely cold" when the weather is not cold. Also, with FORscan I see certain temperature readings that seem impossible (like -59 degrees) or that instantly change from normal to very low or very negative, and back again.

I haven't taken my FFE in yet

That could be a problem in the summer if it doesn't run the cooling when it should. Or when it runs the heater to try and heat the battery when its already hot.

P0C4A:00 indicates the PCM is detecting a short to power, ground, or an open on the PWM output. The pump is controlled by a PWM signal giving it variable speed capability. This pump is for the battery coolant. It is located near the firewall on the left hand side of the motor. It is terminated at the PCM which is on the right hand side of the motor compartment, near the front. One of these might be loose, or have some contaminates inside. It could also be damaged wiring or a bad pump/pcm.

PS: I would try to clear it first, and see if it comes back. It may have been something intermittent.

WattsUp said:
Any idea what the sub-code "0E" means? (shown in breeves002's original screenshot)
I'm not sure on that one. I was thinking it maybe something that ForSCAN is displaying that IDS probably wouldn't. The service manual doesn't have anything about that additional extension.

Generally 00 means not present at time of reading the code. 0E is likely another state identifier but I can't find any information on it.

I did clear it and will check back in a week.

breeves002 said:
Generally 00 means not present at time of reading the code. 0E is likely another state identifier but I can't find any information on it.

I did clear it and will check back in a week.

Did this code come back for you? I'm currently seeing this code and not sure how to address this. Thanks.

Back