Check Brake System

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trey

For the last two days, I have received an error after about 30 seconds of having the car on. The warning says "Check Brake System", and is on the left side display of the instrument panel. After acknowledging the warning by selecting OK, the brake light on the gauge cluster remains illuminated. The car runs and drives fine.

I have tried to call the local dealership and get in for service (2015 bought in January), but wanted to put it out here as well. Has anyone experienced this?

My guess is that you are low on brake fluid, but it could be something else.

Runs and drives fine because most of the time you're not using friction brakes and thus aren't relying on the brake fluid doing its job (there may also be enough to keep that system working).

Trey said:
For the last two days, I have received an error after about 30 seconds of having the car on. The warning says "Check Brake System", and is on the left side display of the instrument panel. After acknowledging the warning by selecting OK, the brake light on the gauge cluster remains illuminated. The car runs and drives fine.

I have tried to call the local dealership and get in for service (2015 bought in January), but wanted to put it out here as well. Has anyone experienced this?
Do you have access to FORScan to read the codes? Have you checked the brake fluid reservoir level.

I have an appointment at Ford today to have it looked at. When I tried to leave work yesterday, I received a SSN three times, and four different warnings on the dashboard. I fear there is more going on.

They kept the car because there were 28 codes tripped in the ECU. Since I received a text overnight from the car stating 12V is low, that may be the root cause of the brake warning, and the other idiot lights I have seen in the last week.

Trey said:
They kept the car because there were 28 codes tripped in the ECU. Since I received a text overnight from the car stating 12V is low, that may be the root cause of the brake warning, and the other idiot lights I have seen in the last week.

It could be the 12V, or it could be an issue with CAN. If you have a fault somewhere on the CAN bus, everything will show faults.

So... after a couple days in the shop, it was determined there was a loose ground that caused all the intermittent issues. I've had the car back for about a week and all is functioning perfectly. I am happy it was a quick fix and hope this helps if anyone else has a strange issue that cannot be constantly duplicated or explained.

Oh, and they replaced the 12V just in case it was damaged by the ground issue.

Back