kiwiffe

Car has no power - Any Ideas

Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:57 pm

Hi everyone, I just took delivery of my 2015 FFE last month and all in all everything has been going pretty good until today. I went to check out the battery % as I need to run a few errands tomorrow and as thinking of maybe adding some charge.

I've run into a situation where there is no juice left in the car for the electronics, charge ring, etc. My guess is the 12V battery is dead based on what I have been reading. I tried to jump it with my ICE car but wasn't sure how long I needed it hooked up (was connected for about 2 mins) and still no juice. I stopped as I need a car tomorrow and don't want to have 2 dead batteries.

I had about 50% HV battery remaining on the car and it was not plugged it. I last drove the vehicle on Friday which means it sat for a couple of days without moving or charging. I typically only charge at the office since it is free there and only need about 20% battery to get to the office.

Any ideas on what to do? I can borrow a 12V trickle charger from my friend tomorrow morning and try that overnight. Should I just charge it up with the L1 charger and see what that does? Just call ford roadside service and see what they will do?

Luckily I have another vehicle to use but since I have work in the morning, I won't be able to troubleshoot much/call place until the afternoon.
2015 Ford Focus Electric - Silver with Leather interior

triangles

Re: Car has no power - Any Ideas

Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:14 am

You should be able to use another car to "jump start" your FFE if your battery is dead. IE hook up the jumper cables and then press the the start button in your FFE Once your FFE is on, unhook the jumper cables and do not turn off the FFE for at least a half hour. Plug it into your charge station before you turn the FFE off.

A volt meter and 12v battery charger would be useful for you to have. Since you could simply hook up your 12 charger to charge it up.

Also I don't know if having the ICE vehicle running and turning on the FFE is bad or not. I wouldn't have the ICE vehicle running to avoid any problems with the FFE's DC-DC converter conflicting with the alternator output of the ICE. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in on this.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

michael

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:18 am

I have seen this problem twice, and I am unclear as to what I do to cause it.

The problem occurred when the care was left overnight but NOT plugged in. I am guessing I left the car in some sort of an "on" state so that the 12 V battery was being drawn down. Both times in the middle of the night the car sent out an SOS message saying the 12 V battery was low.

Putting the car on a 12 V charger instantly woke it up. Jumping from another car should have been fine, too. It's not like jump starting an ICE car where there is a heavy load and running the motor helps, it's just the light load from the electronics. Plug in the car and I think it continues to charge normally once awake.
2013 FFE Returned after 3 years with 52,000 miles and battery down to 15.2 kWh
2014 Volt returned with 43,000 miles
2014 Volt 26,000 miles
1967 Corvette 427
1962 Corvette 327
Awaiting a Bolt

hybridbear

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:25 am

I would suggest having your dealer load test the 12V battery & replace it under warranty if needed. Allowing a 12V battery to go fully dead is very damaging to it.
2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm - leased through 8/15/16
Replaced by a 2016 Tesla Model S 60D

kiwiffe

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:33 am

Update: Tried to jump the car again since it is parked next to my ICE car and still no go. Had it connected for 5 mins, but no electronics turned on. I'm not sure of the "jump procedure" but the batteries were hooked up with my ICE car running and start button press does nothing.
The only thing I noticed is that I did have a USB thumb drive plugged in and it is now unplugged but that shouldn't drain the 12V battery right?

I plugged the 110 HV charger in but only get a connected to vehicle indication and no charging indication. I don't have a volt meter so I can't check the battery but will probably just contact ford roadside later this afternoon when I am finished with all my work meetings. Thanks for the suggestions.

triangles

Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:35 am

With the jumpers hooked up to the FFE 12v battery, the dome lights and dash should light up when you open the door. The 12V battery powers the circuitry for the charger so if it's dead, plugging in the FFE will do nothing as you observed.

The car cuts power to the USB a minute or two after you turn off the car and close the door. So no, leaving a thumb drive plugged in will not cause a problem. It really should have sprung to life when you hooked up the jumpers :?: Did the jumpers spark at all when you hooked them up?
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

kiwiffe

Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:09 pm

When I hook it up to the other car nothing happens. No lights, no dash, no anything. I entered the car using the manual key.
I tried to look for a non painted metal piece on the ford for a ground as I am leery of hooking it to the negative terminal but only found painted surfaces. I can try with a different spot but will be picking up a volt meter and a 12V charger from my buddy this afternoon so I will have better troubleshooting ability.

Sounds like a call to Ford is in the near future.

NightHawk

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:11 pm

Could some fuse(s) be blown?
Even with the 12v battery nearly dead you should get something with an external battery connected.
2014 Ford Focus Electric - Oxford White, Cloth Seats (Lease ended 9/28/2017)

WattsUp

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:34 pm

kiwiffe wrote:I tried to jump it with my ICE car but wasn't sure how long I needed it hooked up (was connected for about 2 mins) and still no juice.
Did you try to start the FFE while it was jumped? This is what "jumping the FFE" would mean, just like a regular car. The jumping procedure is outlined in the user manual.

Just connecting the battery for 2 minutes will do almost nothing.
2013 FFE, Platinum White, Delivered January 2013
2017 MS, Midnight Silver Metallic, Delivered February 2017
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

jmueller065

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:52 pm

kiwiffe wrote:I tried to look for a non painted metal piece on the ford for a ground as I am leery of hooking it to the negative terminal but only found painted surfaces.
There is a ground terminal against the firewall to the right of the battery specifically for jumping the car.
2018 Cajun Red Chevy Bolt
2016 Magnetic C-Max Energi (lease returned)
2014 Sunset Escape
2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

Return to “Technical Discussions”