Lost charging port cover/door

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motozeke

Hi gang. Recently lost the charging port door on my white 2012 FFE. Went to the dealer to order a replacement and I was told that they only come in black and I'd have to get it painted. WFT?? Has anybody else been down this road?

Motozeke said:
Hi gang. Recently lost the charging port door on my white 2012 FFE. Went to the dealer to order a replacement and I was told that they only come in black and I'd have to get it painted.
How did you lose the charging port door? That seems like a hard part to lose unless someone broke it off.

ridiculous it doesn't come with the color. that's just a hilarious foo-pa with the manufacturer. the side mirrors come with matching colors.

Unpainted is pretty typical of these types of parts. Body parts are usually replaced for accident damage so the body shop is going to be painting them so everything matches. There is also pretty large risk paint on a body part will be damaged in shipping and handling.

I once bought a Certified Pre-owned BMW. It was from another state and did not have the painted front license bracket. The dealer had to order it unpainted, have it painted at the body shop. It took almost a month as the body shop lost the first one!

Most parts if pre-painted, will not match very well. There is a surprising amount of variance in color due to mix and condition of weather, equipment and thickness applied. Sometimes the supplier of the paint will use a different source for their colors and that will shift the color slightly. Just look at your bumpers, the material itself will take the color differently and show a shade or two off. That is why parts come unpainted or just in primer, the body shop will mix and match, adjusting the formula a bit to blend in to the original color.

My charging port door keeps popping open when driving. At first i thought someone was messing with me in parking lots, because I never noticed it open until I would return to get back in the car!

Billy Bob EV said:
My charging port door keeps popping open when driving. At first i thought someone was messing with me in parking lots, because I never noticed it open until I would return to get back in the car!
I used to think this too, but most likely you're simply not closing the door properly.

DO NOT close the door by "grabbing" it with your entire hand and manually rotating into place. (I used to do this, until I realized it was wrong.) This, apparently, does not "seat" the door properly in the closed position and it will often pop open with normal vibration.

Instead, to properly close the door, simply do the "opposite" of opening it. That is, just press the indentation with your finger/thumb. The door will automatically rotate back into place and close by itself. Near the end of the rotation, be sure to apply firm pressure to the indentation (not "hard", just deliberate) to make sure the door "locks into" the closed position.

---

That said... the other thing that can happen is that you simply forget to close the door (for example, right after a charging session, when you might be distracted getting back into the car). I've noticed that, when getting into (or out of) the car from driver's position, the left side mirror perfectly blocks the view of the charging door (at least it does for me). Thus, an open charging door is not always as visually obvious as you might think... until you return and see your car from a different vantage point!

WattsUp said:
That said... the other thing that can happen is that you simply forget to close the door (for example, right after a charging session, when you might be distracted getting back into the car). I've noticed that, when getting into (or out of) the car from driver's position, the left side mirror perfectly blocks the view of the charging door (at least it does for me). Thus, an open charging door is not always as visually obvious as you might think... until you return and see your car from a different vantage point!
I have found the same thing. Sometimes I have to stop & lean around the door to make sure I closed the charging port door.

The charging port cover/door on my son's C-Max Energi works perfectly. The one on my sticks ... especially in winter. When I cant open the cover/door, I cant charge the vehicle. The spring on the cover that works well is noticeably stronger than the spring on the cover that sticks. Can I replace that spring. (The cover/door on the Ford Focus Energi is identical.)

damania said:
ridiculous it doesn't come with the color. that's just a hilarious foo-pa with the manufacturer. the side mirrors come with matching colors.
You cannot order the mirror covers painted. like the port cover you have to get them painted to match the car.

Back