Car cover and remote start

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottt

Staff member
Curious.

My 2015 FFE will be an outside car :-( I purchased the Ford OEM Cover for it (no I did NOT pay the crazy $400+ for it).

http://accessories.ford.com/kit-10419.html

If I leave the cover on, and remote start the car (to get either the heater or AC to make the interior more comfortable) will the cover (which is supposed to breathe) block the air intake enough?

Consequently, even if I don't remote start the car with it on, since it will be outside on 100+ degree days, will the cooling system for the battery (which I understand will automatically switch on as needed) be blocked by the cover?

Thx.

My guess would be that the cover would impeded the remote start heating and cooling, but not enough to damage anything. The Thermal Management System (TMS) only functions when the car is on or it is plugged into a level 2 EVSE. The TMS only turns on if the battery goes below 50F or above 95F. I'm not certain on the high end. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I don't have any hard data but I think the battery is pretty well insulated and it takes a long time in 100F+ temps to exceed 95F. Again someone who has more info will likely chime in here.

If you were to leave it plugged in for the TMS and have the cover on in a high heat environment just be sure the cover isn't sealing off the lower grill on the front. That is where air is drawn in for your refrigerant condenser; where the heat from the battery is transferred to the ambient air. If the cover does seal off the lower grill I would think it would be fairly easy to figure out a way to keep the cover from obstructing the lower grill.

are the covers a pain to put on and off? seems like the antenna could get damaged over time

damania said:
are the covers a pain to put on and off? seems like the antenna could get damaged over time

Yes they are a pain, but I'm more than willing to do it to prolong the paint, interior, etc.

There is a pocket in the cover for the antenna.

Back