Suspension creak

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hybridbear

Our front suspension creaks when we go over bumps. Any ideas what it could be? At some point I'll have to address it with the dealer.

hybridbear said:
Our front suspension creaks when we go over bumps. Any ideas what it could be? At some point I'll have to address it with the dealer.
Apparently, this is a common issue and there is a TSB for it (they tighten something up and the creaking goes away).

I think mine has started to creak too. I was thinking about trying to get the TSB applied.

---

Edit: I found a couple TSBs...

TSB 13-5-11: CRUNCHING OR CREAKING-TYPE NOISE FROM FRONT OF VEHICLE—LOW SPEED TURNS AND BUMPS

TSB 13-12-9: CLUNK/RATTLE NOISE FROM FRONT END DURING PARKING MANEUVERS AND/OR OVER ROUGH SURFACES AT LOW SPEEDS BETWEEN 8-32 KM/H (5-20 MPH)

These TBSs technically apply to the 2012-2014 Focus models (not Focus Electric), but I wouldn't be surprised if the Focus Electric could exhibit the same issues.

I have a 2013 FFE and have just begun to notice a front end clunk. We've had a rough pot hole winter, maybe related to that? I have also noticed it when turning the steering wheel back and forth rapidly. I checked all tires for wiggle (like loose lug nuts) and found nothing. It seems it might be tie rods. I'm about to make an appt with dealer service. Other opinions? Anybody else have the steering clunk?

Sorry folks that it has taken me so long to post my follow up, but I have some info. I took the dealer mechanic for a short ride around the back of their building on May 15. Turned the wheel side to side and ran over a couple of manholes. Clunked beautifully. They found both front stabilizer links had play. They removed and replaced. Repairs were under warranty. My son says it was my fault for screeching around corners, and he's sure he'll never have that problem in his 2014 FFE. I can hardly wait for his to go!

2013 Ice Green FFE.
I love this car!

Hugh said:
Sorry folks that it has taken me so long to post my follow up, but I have some info. I took the dealer mechanic for a short ride around the back of their building on May 15. Turned the wheel side to side and ran over a couple of manholes. Clunked beautifully. They found both front stabilizer links had play. They removed and replaced. Repairs were under warranty. My son says it was my fault for screeching around corners, and he's sure he'll never have that problem in his 2014 FFE. I can hardly wait for his to go!
Glad you got your car fixed. But, to be clear, you had clunking, not creaking (the topic of this thread).

Still, out of curiousity, did the work order show that any particular TSB had been applied to your FFE in order to fix your clunking problem, or did the mechanic just say it was something "unique" to your FFE? Did he/she explain what caused the stabilizer links to "have play"?

Back