Who can't see Wh/mi in the MyFord Mobile Trip Log?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hybridbear

The Ford engineers are actively working on this issue for our car. One of their comments was that they don't have other reports of this issue being common across owners. I want to use this thread to document who else has this issue along with the build date of your car. Also, if you haven't yet reported this issue to Ford, please do so to help them see how many cars have this problem. I'll keep everyone posted on how our situation progresses.

The Ford engineers have requested the information shown below.
-Can we get an idea of the locations that this is occurring (everywhere does not count). Specifically, where does the customer live, and where are the destinations that the information is not being sent. I just need general locations, not addresses.

-Pictures of the same trips from the website, rather than the mobile app. All of the screenshots I received were from some sort of Apple device (phone or tablet). I need these for comparison.

-Type of phone(s) being used, as well as the software level on the phones.

Our car is a 2013 FFE, build date 12/2/2012.

I don't see Wh/mi (aka "Average Economy") measurements for any entry in my trip log either. They are always blank ("--") with the blue line at the bottom of the graph.

I did see them (fairly consistently) from when I got my car new (January 2013) up and until the MFM "site migration" update back in October 2013. After the update, I never saw Wh/mi measurements in the log again.

I understand why the engineer is curious about location, but the behavior doesn't seem to be location-based. I live and work in the SF bay area (around San Jose) and it doesn't matter where I drive (and I've taken the car to the limit) -- my trip logs have not shown any Wh/mi measurements for the last year+.

Here are some of my recent trips, as shown by the website (click for larger image):

The really frustrating thing is, the log does always show the two numbers required to compute the Wh/mi value -- namely, miles traveled (aka, "Trip") and kWh used (aka, "Energy"). So, I'm not sure behavior is actually due to some mysterious "data reporting" problem, or simply a website implementation issue (perhaps the number is supposed to be computed by the website code, but there's some bug that nobody has noticed for a year).

----

EDIT: Previously, I had mentioned 2012 dates... I meant 2013. I have corrected these mentions above.

hybridbear said:
One of their comments was that they don't have other reports of this issue being common across owners.
If they had an easy-to-use public issue tracking system online that engineers could access directly (instead of a layer of difficult-to-communicate-with clueless phone reps at some remote call center with no ability to debug, test, or gain any experience with the product they are "supporting") they would probably get better information.

If I were a Ford engineer, I would be so frustrated with this lack of connection to the customer.

I have never been able to see Wh/mile in the trip & charge log (nor have I been able to see how much was charged up).

My car's build date was 5/14/2013 (Wow I took delivery 5/20!).

WattsUp said:
I don't see Wh/mi (aka "Average Economy") measurements for any entry in my trip log either. They are always blank ("--") with the blue line at the bottom of the graph.

I did see them (fairly consistently) from when I got my car new (January 2012) up and until the MFM "site migration" update back in October 2012. After the update, I never saw Wh/mi measurements in the log again.

I understand why the engineer is curious about location, but the behavior doesn't seem to be location-based. I live and work in the SF bay area (around San Jose) and it doesn't matter where I drive (and I've taken the car to the limit) -- my trip logs have not shown any Wh/mi measurements for the last year+.
I agree about the location. I am sending him a PDF of all our trips from the 30 most recent shown in MFM with a location for each trip. He'll see that we have 3 destinations that show up multiple times in that data. All 3 destinations have some trips with Driving Score & Brake Score data & some trips without.

Also, do you mean January & October 2013? Your car is listed as a 2013 in your signature.

Also, what's your build date?

jmueller065 said:
I have never been able to see Wh/mile in the trip & charge log (nor have I been able to see how much was charged up).

My car's build date was 5/14/2013 (Wow I took delivery 5/20!).
Do you also have issues with the Brake Score & Driving Score mysteriously not showing up as well?

WattsUp said:
Here are some of my recent trips, as shown by the website (click for larger image):
All of your trips here show Brake Score & Driving Score. Do you also frequently show 0 or -- for those items as well?

Here are some screen shots (I left the B & J so you can see when there are different drivers) I had previously sent the Ford Engineer from both the iPhone app & the web browser on the iPad:

Most of my trips show both a driving score and a brake score. When the brake score doesn't show up I see --, when the driving score doesn't show up it is 0.

I always see -- for average economy. I've never seen a value for average economy in the 19 months I've had the car.

hybridbear said:
WattsUp said:
I got my car new (January 2012)
Also, do you mean January & October 2013? Your car is listed as a 2013 in your signature.

Also, what's your build date?
You are correct, thanks. Yes, I meant, January 2013.

I will have to check the build date... I believe it was October 2012 or something like that.

jmueller065 said:
Most of my trips show both a driving score and a brake score. When the brake score doesn't show up I see --, when the driving score doesn't show up it is 0.

I always see -- for average economy. I've never seen a value for average economy in the 19 months I've had the car.
Ok thanks. This is how ours works as well. We're probably close to 35-40% of the time that Brake Score or Driving Score doesn't transmit. Sometimes we get Driving but Brake shows --, sometimes Brake shows but Driving is "0". Sometimes they both don't work.

hybridbear said:
WattsUp said:
All of your trips here show Brake Score & Driving Score. Do you also frequently show 0 or -- for those items as well?
No, not frequently. But it does happen.

I just checked all 20 or so trip entries that are currently shown in my log (when I click "View All"). All but one showed valid values for both "Brake Score" and "Driving Score" (as you had started to notice from the screenshot I posted previously).

The one trip that did not show either value was a "non-trivial" 4 miles, so seems like there should have been some valid scores to report:

That said, I think my normal trend (beyond the last 20 trips that I can see at the moment) is at least 90% of the entries (for trips) being complete, with the exception of the "Average Economy" value, which is never there (as I mentioned earlier in this topic).

That said, occasionally there are times when either an expected trip or charge entry is completely missing from the log (never shows up). I would estimate that probably happens about 5% of the time. I am usually driving around in well-developed urban areas so, other than being parked underground or something, the car should always have a good signal for telematics reporting. I guess those missing entries just get "lost" somewhere in the system.

----------

I should also mention (since we've only been talking about the trip entries) that my charge entries have their own issues. Often the reported charge time is "impossibly" wrong (full charges that "take" 0 minutes, etc.) or the amount charged is not reflected in the battery graph (no "hashed lines" portion showing what was added).

The entry shows I charged for 19 minutes, but no added energy is reflected in the battery graph (although 19 minutes at Level 2 should have added something). (Note: The reported duration of 19 minutes could also be suspect, but I don't recall for this entry whether that it was accurate or not.)

For more specific information, this is what the backend MFM API returns for a single trip entry for the trip & charge log (JSON formatted):

{"eventtype":"0","eventdate":"2015-01-27T12:01:30.000-05:00","recid":"250874139","locationid":{"@nil":"true"},"begints":{"@nil":"true"},"beginsoc":"38.5","endsoc":"35.5","chargebreakdown":{"@nil":"true"},"active":{"@nil":"true"},"vehicleid":"<anumber>","keynumber":"2","latitude":"<validlat>","longitude":"<validlon>","distance":"2.9","energyconsumedl":{"@nil":"true"},"energyconsumedkwh":"0.6","efficiency":{"@nil":"true"},"efficiencyuom":"W_STATUS_UNKNOWN","regendist":{"@nil":"true"},"regenpct":{"@nil":"true"},"drivingscore":"70.8","drivingscoreuom":"%","evtripdist":{"@nil":"true"},"locationname":{"@nil":"true"},"locationtype":{"@nil":"true"},"zipcode":{"@nil":"true"},"custid":{"@nil":"true"},"custname":{"@nil":"true"},"keyPersonalized":"0","keyName":{"@nil":"true"}},

Note that I've "blacked" out the vehicle id, lat, and lon.

an eventtype of 1 is charge, 0 is drive.

note that "efficiency" and "efficiencyuom" both are nil and "W_STATUS_UNKNOWN".

jmueller065 said:
For more specific information, this is what the backend MFM API returns for a single trip entry for the trip & charge log (JSON formatted):

note that "efficiency" and "efficiencyuom" both are nil and "W_STATUS_UNKNOWN".
This would seem to indicate, not a website programming bug, but rather a communication issue with the vehicle, right?

How do you get that API data? Can I access that too?

hybridbear said:
How do you get that API data? Can I access that too?
You can reverse engineer it with Chrome:
On the chrome menu go to More Tools -> Developer tools. On the pane that comes up click on "Network" and you'll see all the network activity by MFM.

You'll want to focus on all the entries on the left that end with PS (like webRemoteEnergyReportPS). Click on one of those and the "response" tab to the right of the list and you'll see the data that comes back.

For the Trip and Charge log you'll want to find: webTripAndChargeLogDesktopPS.

After reviewing the data I sent, the Ford Engineer told the dealer, "Replace the TCU and let me know the results." Hopefully this will take care of it. The dealer is ordering the TCU and will let me know when it arrives. Considering that 2012 and 2014 FFEs work fine, I'm hoping that our car just got a bad TCU and that the ones a coming from Ford warehouse now are the same as what's installed in the 2014s & 2015s that work correctly.

hybridbear said:
After reviewing the data I sent, the Ford Engineer told the dealer, "Replace the TCU and let me know the results." Hopefully this will take care of it. The dealer is ordering the TCU and will let me know when it arrives. Considering that 2012 and 2014 FFEs work fine, I'm hoping that our car just got a bad TCU and that the ones a coming from Ford warehouse now are the same as what's installed in the 2014s & 2015s that work correctly.
Sounds like the engineer is simply "throwing the problem over the fence". By this logic, my TCU was apparently "a good TCU" before the October 2013 MFM site update and the instantly became "a bad TCU" afterwards.

IMO, this is a software bug somewhere... not a hardware issue. :roll:

Still, let us know what happens.

WattsUp said:
IMO, this is a software bug somewhere... not a hardware issue.
I would think so as well. Perhaps the dealer should simply try to reprogram the TCU instead of replacing it? (Different versions of the software on it...?)

WattsUp said:
hybridbear said:
Sounds like the engineer is simply "throwing the problem over the fence". By this logic, my TCU was apparently "a good TCU" before the October 2013 MFM site update and the instantly became "a bad TCU" afterwards.

IMO, this is a software bug somewhere... not a hardware issue. :roll:

Still, let us know what happens.
jmueller065 said:
WattsUp said:
IMO, this is a software bug somewhere... not a hardware issue.
I would think so as well. Perhaps the dealer should simply try to reprogram the TCU instead of replacing it? (Different versions of the software on it...?)
You both got Wh/mi for every trip before the October 2013 MFM site migration?

jmueller065 said:
hybridbear said:
I have never seen Wh/mi for any trip in the 19 months that I've had the car.
So then that would indicate a car issue and not a website issue. Your car has never worked.

hybridbear said:
I did, yes.

It worked, fairly consistently up and until the site migration. Suddenly stopped working after that, and has never worked again.

Back