Plug door randomly opening?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 900 miles into my new electric Focus, I'm super happy with it. One thing I wanted to ask about... a few times now when I arrive at my destination I have noticed the plug door is open. Is the car just asking to be fed? Just kidding, maybe if I hit a bump it opens some times? Does that happen for anyone else? Can the door be made more secure?

Thanks in advance!

*chuckle* You are not alone. Every new FFE owner seems to go through this.

There are two things likely happening here:

1) Your mind is playing tricks on you. Yes, you are simply forgetting to close the door and thinking you did. Seriously. This probably easily accounts for at least half of the occurrences you where you would "swear" the door came open "by itself". The longer you own and car and get used to closing the door every time, this issue will subside. (And it is even possible that these "mind tricks" account for almost all the occurrences.)

2) You aren't closing the door properly, and so it isn't completely secured and is truly popping back open (with road vibration or whatever). If you are closing the door by "grabbing" the whole thing with your hand and twisting it back into place... stop it! That's wrong. The proper way to close the door is to use just your thumb (or finger if you like) to press directly on the little indentation on the door (which is there for this purpose). As you push at the indentation, the door will automatically swing around and latch into place, and is how the mechanism is intended to work. It helps to be use moderately firm pressure when you do this and "carry it through" to the end... the door will depress a little into the opening, but return to being flush with the fender when you remove your thumb.

I swear... this "problem" will stop happening the longer you own the car. It never happens to me (and I thought it was happening "all the time" when I first got the car). :)

Good luck!

WattsUp said:
*chuckle* You are not alone. Every new FFE owner seems to go through this.

There are two things likely happening here:

1) Your mind is playing tricks on you. Yes, you are simply forgetting to close the door and thinking you did. Seriously. This probably easily accounts for at least half of the occurrences you where you would "swear" the door came open "by itself". The longer you own and car and get used to closing the door every time, this issue will subside. (And it is even possible that these "mind tricks" account for almost all the occurrences.)

2) You aren't closing the door properly, and so it isn't completely secured and is truly popping back open (with road vibration or whatever). If you are closing the door by "grabbing" the whole thing with your hand and twisting it back into place... stop it! That's wrong. The proper way to close the door is to use just your thumb (or finger if you like) to press directly on the little indentation on the door (which is there for this purpose). As you push at the indentation, the door will automatically swing around and latch into place, and is how the mechanism is intended to work. It helps to be use moderately firm pressure when you do this and "carry it through" to the end... the door will depress a little into the opening, but return to being flush with the fender when you remove your thumb.

I swear... this "problem" will stop happening the longer you own the car. It never happens to me (and I thought it was happening "all the time" when I first got the car). :)

Good luck!

I'm right there with ya. When I first got mine, I thought for sure it was popping open or a guy at work was pranking me. But, as time rolled on, it seems to magically stay closed now... ;)

I wish Ford had come up with some kind of auto close when you drive for the charge port door or at least a warning when you go out of park mode.

NightHawk said:
I wish Ford had come up with some kind of auto close when you drive for the charge port door or at least a warning when you go out of park mode.
It would be nice, but probably not a very cost-effective feature in the long run (seeing as we all eventually realize "it was only us" forgetting to close the door).

And, after all, unlike a gasoline car, there is no risk of electricity "evaporating away" if the door is left open. And even the occasional exposure to water isn't really much of a concern.

NightHawk said:
Chevy has announced that the next gen Volt will alert the owner if they leave the charge port door open.

I concur; most of the open-charge-door incidents are certainly because of forgetfulness and they have become less frequent the longer I've had the car.

Yes, it can pop open from jarring on the road, but I agree that it is most secure when you close it as intended.

hybridbear said:
Chevy has announced that the next gen Volt will alert the owner if they leave the charge port door open.
That's odd... mine already does warn me. Undocumented feature, maybe?

As far as the FFE door releasing itself... it may be triggered by closing the driver's door with authority. Happens to me sometimes.

Now that I've driven it a while I notice it open when I go to leave work (even when I know it was ok when I got in).

I chock this up to curious bystanders opening it and then not wanting to close it because they don't know how and are afraid they may break it. (I see it frequently when we have more visitors to the office here than usual ! )

I also see the occasional C-Max or Fusion Energi driving around with their charge ports open as well..its not just a FFE thing.

Back