obd2 scan devices

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redcelt007

I located the obd connector on my Focus electric, but the emissions label underneath the hood indicates "ODB NA". I have read on several websites that sell obd devices that all-electric vehicles are not required to be odb compliant. Is the Focus electric obd2 compliant? If so, which obd2 devices work on the FFE? I would like to use one of the Bluetooth types, but have not found any that work on EV's.

2014 Ford Focus Electric
Oxford White

Go here for your answer:
https://discussions.myfordmobile.com/discussions/MyFord_Mobile_Discussions/BEV_Accessories_and_Modifications/Reading_codes_and_the_OBD_II/mfm010000d1/111.1?nav=messages

This has been discussed a few times on the forum here.

The MyFordMobile discussions that EVA refers to have a bunch of hybrid information that doesn't apply to the FFE. It appears that the FFE is "mostly" compliant, but that most software (eg Torque, OBDWiz, ...) return an error (trying to access a PID that is common to all ICE cars???). The only confirmed good results have been with the specially modified ScanGauge discussed in the MyFordMobile thread and with the ForScan software using an OBDLink-MX - (my $25 BAFX elm327 scan tool didn't work).

Edit: Oh yeah, I momentarily forgot: There's also the VCM II with Ford's IDS (Intellegent Diagnostic Software) ..http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1929

GladeStorm said:
The MyFordMobile discussions that EVA refers to have a bunch of hybrid information that doesn't apply to the FFE. It appears that the FFE is "mostly" compliant, but that most software (eg Torque, OBDWiz, ...) return an error (trying to access a PID that is common to all ICE cars???). The only confirmed good results have been with the specially modified ScanGauge discussed in the MyFordMobile thread and with the ForScan software using an OBDLink-MX - (my $25 BAFX elm327 scan tool didn't work).
I can verify that FORScan doesn't work with my cheap ELM327 scanner from Amazon. Torque Pro also doesn't work. Since my cheap ELM scanner is no longer reliable and has issues with our Fusion Hybrid I'm considering buying the OBDLink new WiFi scanner. That hopefully will work with FORScan in the FFE and will be reliable with Torque Pro in the FFH.

redcelt007 said:
According to the scantool.net site, the OBDLink-MX is not compatible with hydrid and electric autos.
That's incorrect as far as hybrids. A friend has the OBDLink-MX and uses it with his Fusion Energi for both Torque Pro & FORScan without any issues.

Actually, if I can find an OBD scan device that would just return P codes, that would suffice for now. Other functions such as battery voltage, temp, etc would be nice to have also. I'll call scantool.net and ask them if the info on their website is out of date or just wrong. Thanks!

Tried calling scantools.net but they only list a sales fax number. Going to start over with the basics and check the pinout of the obd connector to find which protocol is used. It may be the J1850 PWM protocol, but I understand Ford changes this on some vehicles.

Ford hasn't used J1850 PWM for a long time (since I last worked there many years ago!). Everything is CAN these days for just about all OEMs.

The only Ford(s) that have a possibility of using the old PWM protocol would be the stripped chassis E-Series and F-Series units destined to upfitters (RVs, rental trucks, etc.).

Or you could assume that since the OBDLink-MX works on my FFE it will work on yours,... :geek:
Note that the software they suggest/offer will not work.

Yes; FORScan is the only software that I found that works (with a reasonably priced elm327). I'm planning on posting some of what I've found out so far, probably over the weekend.

HybridBear, et al - when someone else here starts getting FORScan data I'd like to get some baseline data to compare with what my BECM is reporting.

GladeStorm said:
Yes; FORScan is the only software that I found that works (with a reasonably priced elm327). I'm planning on posting some of what I've found out so far, probably over the weekend.

HybridBear, et al - when someone else here starts getting FORScan data I'd like to get some baseline data to compare with what my BECM is reporting.
Ok cool! I just have a cheap Android tablet which doesn't have Bluetooth. I plan on buying the OBDLink WiFi scanner but I signed up for their e-mail list & I keep hoping they'll send me a coupon code for free shipping or something because the shipping cost is outrageous!

I'll keep you posted on what I end up buying.

Yeah - I bought my MX Bluetooth through Amazon. The Wifi model will probably show up at Amazon with a pretty good price compared the regular price at Scantool.net, but the -$20 Preorder special may be hard to beat (unless Amazon gets in on the preorder).

The Wifi option sounds interesting (I think the VCMII uses wifi)

GladeStorm said:
Yeah - I bought my MX Bluetooth through Amazon. The Wifi model will probably show up at Amazon with a pretty good price compared the regular price at Scantool.net, but the -$20 Preorder special may be hard to beat (unless Amazon gets in on the preorder).

The Wifi option sounds interesting (I think the VCMII uses wifi)
Yes, I don't know how long before Amazon will have them. The $20 pre-order special basically covers shipping which runs about $20. So I still end up spending about $120 for it...thus my hesitation.

I talked to a reseller of the OBDLink MX obd2 scanner and he confirmed that he had customers that the OBDLink MX worked with their Focus Electric and C-MAX Energi.

He also said that the new OBDLink MX Wifi is just going to have the WiFi more the traditional MX. The Bluetooth MX will still be faster then WiFi MX.

His website is : http://www.carplugs.com

intravino said:
He also said that the new OBDLink MX Wifi is just going to have the WiFi more the traditional MX.
Sorry, I can't parse the above sentence.

Are you saying the OBDLink MX Wifi is the same thing as the "traditional" MX model, but just adds Wifi?

If so, then using the Wifi model, could we conceivably write our own software to display extra EV read-outs on an iPhone or iPad? I'd love to create an app that shows the real % SOC, voltage, etc. with cool graphics, maybe compute my own guess-o-meter, and even show (possibly near real-time?) read-outs of energy consumption and regeneration. Basically, all the sorts of displays we wish the car had already.

Scan-tool the manufacturer used Kickstarter (crowd funding platform), to fund the change from a Bluetooth radio to a WiFi radio for the OBDlink MX scanner.

They received 640k and kickstarter keeps a 5 % commission. The people that pledge money to the project will received a discount of their scanner. The project is more then 6 months behind.

Read the Controversies and Paten disputes section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickstarter

My two cents,

Back