defective EPAS from factory? Anyone have any steering issues

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xchpstang

So bought car new on March 25th of this year. Drive it home from dealer and notice all sorts of steering issues, pulling to both sides, some weird twitching felt in the steering wheel (not road related), and requires constant correction just to keep going straight. I figure either freeway or new tires need to break in. Now have 3K miles on it and problem hasn't gone away. I take it to local dealer yesterday to get it checked out (not where I bought it as local dealer not certified to sell electric cars).

This is what they had to say on service workorder:

"Complaint: Customer states since new, car wanders to both sides and requires constant steering correction to keep straight. This pull to both sides and steering issue is most apparent on freeway speeds 65-70 MPH. Check and advise.

Cause: Verified customer concern, steering wheel has weak returnability and needs correction to go straight. Checked TSB/SSM's for topics related to concern, found SSM 44470 which prompts tech to use pinpoint test X in section 211-02 of the WM. Disconnected steering shaft from steering gear and turned wheels left/right by hand. Felt sticking/binding when turning wheels. Step X6 calls for replacing EPAS steering gear.

Correction: Per Mark [service manager at local dealer] we are unable to do repairs due to vehicle is a electric with a electric steering gear assembly and we are not a certified electric vehicle repair dealership. Customer must get vehicle repaired at [dealership where I bought car] or a certified electric repair shop."

I wasn't happy about them not wanting to work on it. They sell plenty of hybrids at this dealership and unless I'm wrong, hybrids also use EPAS, which makes the whole thing about not being able to work on it suspect. I didn't want to fight this and will just take it to dealership where I bought it but even now I'm starting to have my doubts. Will this other dealership claim that magically they weren't able to replicate the problem?

Anyway: has anyone had this problem or know anything about it? Is my local dealership just blowing smoke and trying to weasel their way out of a potentially big warranty issue? What does everyone think?

We feel the same thing in both the FFE and our 2013 Fusion Hybrid. You should be able to take your paperwork to an EV certified dealer and have the work performed. Please let it know how it goes.

Back