Stop Safely Now (SSN) Post recall

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davideos

Hate to say it, but the SSN issue is not 100% behind us...well, at least for me. I was hoping that it was gone, but I had a second occurrence today while accelerating to get on the freeway. Below is my NTSA post...

Just entered freeway on-ramp and began to accelerate when power instantly ceased and car coasted. Dashboard indicated "Stop Safely Now" and I pulled to the side. Steering and brakes were still functioning but no response at all from the accelerator. Car did not respond at first to a restart. Had to turn car off, open door, close door, wait for dashboard to go blank and then restart to actually make it go again. This was the same symptom that occurred in November of 2013 (and reported here) that Ford supposedly fixed through re-call. After restarting the car, there is no indication of any problem. Car had a state of charge of 36% at time of failure.

There was nothing peculiar about the car prior to the event. I had a full charge at the beginning of the day and had depleted to about 30% when I plugged it into a 120V outlet for another 20% of charge over the course of about 4 or 5 hours.

Car is behaving normally now and it has been 8 months since it last occurred.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

You have had all the recall work, including for 13S09, right?
Anything interesting in which software version you have?
(I have had 3 recall items worked on, but not 13A01. Have had no SSN problem while driving my Focus, but suspect these items are not related to the cause of your incidents.)

Were you driving over unusually rough / bumpy roads shortly before? (I remember reading about problems with poor / loose connections for at least one SSN case.)

Any remark from your dealer / service place, yet?
It would be very interesting if you get a useful reply from there (but am not holding my breath).

Yes, I have 13s09 and am current with all the recalls. I'll consider taking it to the dealer, but last time they just gave it back to me without doing or saying anything. The recall came out the week after and I took it back.

I was accelerating on a curve as I entered the freeway on ramp. Road was smooth and nothing out of the ordinary occurred...it just lost all drive power and I sat on the shoulder till I got it restarted. No issue after that. My FFE is a 2012 with 16000 miles. 8 months since this last happened and when the recall was performed.

If you have reason to believe you can make it happen again, or it will happen again within a week or so, request the dealer set you up with a CFR (customer flight recorder). This is a device that is plugged into the diagnostics port that will record a bunch of parameters, including DTC codes when a trigger event (usually the presence of a DTC) occurs. This way, the vanishing code is captured, and a better diagnostic/troubleshooting can be carried out.

That's what I'm thinking to do. My experience tells me that it isn't worth your time to take it to the dealer if you cannot reproduce the problem on demand. Otherwise, they'll wave their hand over it and say it is good to go.

don't wanna thread jack here, but i've expereinced a couple instances twice within as many weeks where the car starts fine, but i get no power to the wheels and steering is non existant. this morning being the last time backing out of my garage. the other was last week when put in to drive.

not sure if this has anything to do with the recalls or flashing, but just curious to see if its a foreshadowing of the SSN error.

cwstnsko said:
blackbeasst said:
... i've expereinced a couple instances twice within as many weeks where the car starts fine, but i get no power to the wheels and steering is non existant.....

I look for the little green icon that tells me the car is ready to drive. I've had times where I apparently timed my pressing of the brake and the start button poorly, or didn't press the brake hard enough and every thing is fired up except that icon. No Icon, No joy :)
blackbeasst said:
don't wanna thread jack here, but i've expereinced a couple instances twice within as many weeks where the car starts fine, but i get no power to the wheels and steering is non existant. this morning being the last time backing out of my garage. the other was last week when put in to drive.

not sure if this has anything to do with the recalls or flashing, but just curious to see if its a foreshadowing of the SSN error.
My comment is the same as cwstnsko. Both my wife and I have had a few times where we get in, start the car and put it in gear only to find that it doesn't move. Each time we have not had the little green car indicating that the FFE had started. I've most commonly had it happen after I've had the car "on" without starting it by pressing the button without stepping on the brake and then I step on the brake and press the button again but must do my steps wrong because the car doesn't go to "ready to drive".

hybridbear said:
My comment is the same as cwstnsko. Both my wife and I have had a few times where we get in, start the car and put it in gear only to find that it doesn't move. Each time we have not had the little green car indicating that the FFE had started. I've most commonly had it happen after I've had the car "on" without starting it by pressing the button without stepping on the brake and then I step on the brake and press the button again but must do my steps wrong because the car doesn't go to "ready to drive".
Odd that the little green car comes on and you still don't have power. I've never seen anyone suggest that the car "stalls" without any indication of a fault. Even the OP refers to the stop safely now message. Maybe you should take a photo of the exact dash display when the car stalls. It might be easier to troubleshoot.

As to the actual OP, I think the idea for a CFR, if you think it will happen soon. But once every 8 months may be a bit too sporadic. Weird.

The FFE takes its own time "powering up" when you press the start button. If you are not deliberate with your motions, or try to move too quickly you'll get the "all fired up with no power and no green car" situation. When that happens simply shift to park, put your foot on the brake and press the start button again--in all cases it happens to me the green car lights up immediately and I drive away.

My sequence to avoid this situation:
  • Sit down in car
    Immediately put my foot on the brake
    Press start
    Buckle seat belt
    Check surroundings/radio/etc.
    Shift out of park
I find by the time I've completed buckling my seat belt that the car is ready to go. If I try to rush the process then I don't get the "green car" indicator...

unplugged said:
hybridbear said:
Odd that the little green car comes on and you still don't have power. I've never seen anyone suggest that the car "stalls" without any indication of a fault. Even the OP refers to the stop safely now message. Maybe you should take a photo of the exact dash display when the car stalls. It might be easier to troubleshoot.

As to the actual OP, I think the idea for a CFR, if you think it will happen soon. But once every 8 months may be a bit too sporadic. Weird.
What I've had happen and what I think blackbeasst is referencing is what Jamie says. Sometimes if you move too quickly the car will not boot up.

hybridbear said:
What I've had happen and what I think blackbeasst is referencing is what Jamie says. Sometimes if you move too quickly the car will not boot up.
That's what I thought, too. But it is mentioned specifically that the green car on the dash is lit. I find this very odd since everything I have seen posted about the FFE indicates that there is always some type of notification when the car dies.

unplugged said:
hybridbear said:
That's what I thought, too. But it is mentioned specifically that the green car on the dash is lit. I find this very odd since everything I have seen posted about the FFE indicates that there is always some type of notification when the car dies.
Blackbeasst didn't say that though.

Back