Charger Failure Experiences

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOEFRIDAY

I just want to put something on the table that may or may not be an issue.

When we first got our Nissan LEAF in March 2012, we had the "official" AeroVironment charger installed in our garage. AeroVironment is the preferred charging solution for Nissan as well as Ford. (just a note: Levitron used to be the preferred charging solution for Ford--but now AeroVironment is the preferred solution)

The charger worked perfectly for over a year. When we added the Ford Focus to the household, we did not need another charger, because all of the electric vehicles (except for Tesla) take the same charger.

One day I went out to get in the Ford Focus Electric and the car had not charged overnight. I tried to charge it again thinking that maybe I had not plugged it in properly. It would not charge. The LEAF was fully charged, so I thought there was something wrong with the FFE. It just would not charge. Since the FFE only had 22 miles left on it and the dealer is 35 miles, I called Ford and had it towed to the Ford dealership that works on EV's.

As it turned out, there was nothing wrong with the FFE and they indicated that there was probably something wrong with my home charger. Since the LEAF was still charging, I thought the guys at Ford were incorrect.

A day or two later, the LEAF stopped charging. I called AeroVironment and they determined that the charger had failed after we went through some processes over the phone. (resetting breakers, looking at indicator lights, etc)

AeroVironment sent an advance replacement charger under warranty. It took about 4 days to get here. During that time, we used the "emergency chargers" that came with the vehicles in order to charge the vehicles. As you know the emergency charges take 12-18 hours to charge the cars. It's ok in an emergency, but not for day to day use.

The new charger came, I installed it. It's pretty simple to replace. I sent the defective charger back to AeroVironment using the box that they sent the new charger in. I paid for the return shipping which is about $25.

I thought that would be the end of it.

45 days later, we go through the same thing again. The new replacement AeroVironment charger failed. They advance replaced another under warranty. We go through the same thing process again. I send the second one back and paid for return shipping. That was in August and September of 2013. Since then the chargers have been working as they should.

I would not think anything else about this except my brother called about 2 months ago and his AeroVironment charger had failed under the same circumstances. He went though the same thing and AeroVironment replaced his under warranty. He also has a FFE.

AeroVironment chargers are considered the best in the industry and they are also the most expensive.

My concern is that these AeroVironment chargers might fail out of warranty.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences with these chargers?

This is not something that I want to have to replace every few years.

Joe

Very interesting, I wonder if that is the nature of the EVSE beast.

Note my and my coworker's difficulties with the Bosch/SPX PowerXPress EVSE discussed here:
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1994

Note 2 people's experience's with GE Wattstations:
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1123

From what I hear Clipper Creek makes a solid EVSE..I'll find out tomorrow when my LCS-25 arrives.

I hope that this won't be the case with all EVSEs. My parents have a Leviton unit that they use with their C-Max Energi and the units being considered by our apartment to install for us to get a BEV would be either the Bosch PowerMax 30amp unit or the ClipperCreek 30amp unit. I wonder which would prove more reliable. They're both about the same price, the Bosch is maybe 5% cheaper.

I had nearly an identical situation to yours with the GE Wattstation. The first one worked for quite a while then died, the first replacement did not work at all. The second replacement has worked for the last 11 months without any more issues. I also hope Clipper Creek makes a good charger as I am supposed to receive an HCS-60 today for the Tesla Roadster.

Based on my experience so far, I think there will be growing pains with these glorified extension cords until each vendor gets enough experience with their design, goes out of business or gets out of the charger business.

Building a good charging unit isn't rocket science. Any number of units are considered acceptable. The only reason Nissan/Ford/BMW, etc. have "preferred" EVCS is they get a fee from the various manufacturers of those units. The main thing is that the relay switch be heavy duty enough to handle repeated switching and the cable and handle be of good enough quality to handle the amperage.

Knock on wood - my ClipperCreek CS-40 has worked flawlessly for the past 26 months. Based on what I'm reading here, I'm glad we didn't opt for the BMW Branded Aerovironment unit when we got the ActiveE, and pretty sure will never purchase anything other than a ClipperCreek unit in the future.

How about the Juice Box (basic version)? This is even less expensive than the ClipperCreek and if it ever did fail you might be able to fix it yourself. I realize the Juice Box hasn't been out long, but it looks like an interesting solution (esp the DIY option). Any feed back? I'm still living with the factory charger but need to get a level 2 soon. It's down to CliperCreek or Juice Box....

I just bought a Clipper Creek HCS-40 for my future FFE. And a HCS-60 for my Model S. I have only heard good things about Clipper Creek, they seem very well made and solid.

I turn the power on to the sub-panel they are already wired to this weekend.

TexaCali said:
How about the Juice Box (basic version)? This is even less expensive than the ClipperCreek and if it ever did fail you might be able to fix it yourself. I realize the Juice Box hasn't been out long, but it looks like an interesting solution (esp the DIY option). Any feed back? I'm still living with the factory charger but need to get a level 2 soon. It's down to CliperCreek or Juice Box....
Once you pay for cabling, not sure how cheap they actually end up being compared to the $590 ClipperCreek HCS-40.

TexaCali said:
How about the Juice Box (basic version)? This is even less expensive than the ClipperCreek and if it ever did fail you might be able to fix it yourself. I realize the Juice Box hasn't been out long, but it looks like an interesting solution (esp the DIY option). Any feed back? I'm still living with the factory charger but need to get a level 2 soon. It's down to ClipperCreek or Juice Box....
I'm in the same boat and trying to make a similar choice.

I want a home EVSE that doubles as a portable "quick charger" (30A) for extended road trips to places where you can begin hearing banjos down here in Georgia :eek:
This means charging up at camp spots. The LCS-25 would be a great choice for this but I'd rather not wait for a 20A charge when my car supports a 30A charge rate (especially while waiting I'm waiting on the charge) so needless to say I want a 30A charger. But what if the receptacle I'm plugged into is weak and trips under the 30A of load? If I was cool enough to own a Tesla I could tell the car to dial back to a load that the circuit could handle... needless to say this is not possible in the FFE so I need an EVSE that can change the charge rate for me. The HCS-40, despite being a nice unit (albeit relatively huge) can not do this.

I guess this leaves the JuiceBox or OpenEVSE (maybe the SlickCharge) but I really don't want to put one together myself. (big fan of these units being “open” but I don't trust myself enough to assemble one without supervision) This leads me to the issue I have with these two, they both aren't UL certified which isn't a big deal to me (I think UL is sort of lax) but is a big deal to insurance and that's one headache I wouldn't even want to begin to think about.

Is there a somewhat portable 30A EVSE out there that allows adjustable amperage and is UL listed? The Jesla comes close but also not UL rated because of the J1772 connector...

I met a guy who simply put a cord on an Aerovironment wall charger and used that as a portable. You can buy them on Ebay, sometimes new, for around $500. He used it to drive very long distances (Utah to California several times) in a RAV4 EV.

Of course that doesn't solve the problem if you only have a 15 or 20 A outlet, but he told me in his experience usually found 30 or 50 A outlets in RV parks and the like.

I carry a Turbo Cord all the time and leave my Ford portable at home. If I were taking an extended trip, I wouldn't take the FFE.

TexaCali said:
The pricing is rather easy on the EMW Juicebox site. You just use the drop down menus to configure the unit as you need. An assembled base Juicebox with input and a 32 amp 25 foot J1772 cord is $438.00 (plus shipping, I believe). As a Kickstarter backer, I paid $420 including shipping.

The Juicebox has worked fine as a portable unit for me. I have owned it since September 2013. The nice thing is that it automatically shifts from 120 to 240 V. No need to carry the OEM Ford cable. And, it's waterproof sealed to UL specs. (Although no UL approval as yet.)

imagehosting

Back