FFE Electrical Use

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNEV

I bought my FFE in January in Minnesota and saw a pretty significant jump in my electrical bill. Definately more than can be accounted for through driving. After my March bill I bought a kill-a-watt monitor this weekend to see how much power was going into the car.

The results from the weekend:
The power I used in driving per MyFordMobile is 6.3 Kwh
The amount of power that went into the car to charge is 11.6 Kwh

I only have the level 1 plug into the wall at the moment.

The seems much higher than I was expecting (maybe a 20% loss). I would have had one morning preconditioning on a not so cold morning (overnight temp around freezing). I have three theories:
1) the termal management system uses a lot of power overnight in the Minnesota cold (this would account for the winter bills but the weekend was pretty nice here dispite a foot of snow on April 4th).
2) the level one charging is very inefficient (is this different efficiency for level 2?) and only getting 60% effiency)
3) you take a bit hit for preconditioning a car.
4) the neighbor sneaks over at night and plugs in the refrigerator at night... well that would be 4 so I will discount this one.

Anyone track there usage to battery charge or passive draw beyond charging the traction battery?

Thanks, David

I have only the electric bill from the same month last year and what I am seeing looks in line with 80% charging efficiency including pre-conditioning.

I'll bet that #2 and #3 are the culprits.

I didn't think pre-conditioning would work when plugged into 110-120. I have a 240V charger at home, but I charge all the time at work with the 120V Level 1 charger. I do have a killawatt device and will try to remember to take some measurements with it. My guess would be that some aspects of the charging circuit in the car consumes the same power regardless of charge rate. Therefore, with a Level 1 charger, the percentage of loss will be higher. However, I still wouldn't expect the losses to be as high as you have measured.

Does your bill have any details at all? (Granted since you're using a level 1 your bill will just say kWh used and not break it out at all so you have no idea.)

All my experience with power consumption is with our Level 2 charger with a second meter. In addition my power company lets me download the hourly data into a spreadsheet:
http://jamiegeek.myevblog.com/2013/12/19/electricity-consumption-for-november/

Like others have said: I don't think precondition works very well on Level 1 so that wouldn't be your issue.

3 - Preconditioning on Level 1 doesn't seem very effective because you can only get about 1.5 Kw through the hose... Each time you precondition at L1 will cost you about 1.5 Kwh.

1 - The TMS cycles at colder temperatures using up to 200w. I can't remember what kind of duty cycle I was seeing at near freezing temperatures, but if it were say 20%, then it would be using about 1 Kwh per 24 hour period.

Back