Delay between regen and forward torque

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabar10

After driving a few months now, I've found that there's a noticeable delay when the FFE switches between applying forward and reverse torque, i.e. accelerating forward vs. using regen to slow down (and vice versa -- using regen then wanting to quickly accelerate).

I had noticed earlier that sometimes hitting the accelerator, the reaction is almost instantaneous, but other times there is a half-second or so delay before getting torque, and I think I've narrowed it down to this transition back-and-forth between requesting forward and reverse torque from the motor. It's noticeable especially when driving in L (which I do almost all of the time now).

I know the motor is a permanent-magnet synchronous type, but I'm not sure what control strategy is being used to drive the motor. Wonder if there's some necessary period of zero-applied torque between switching between drive and regeneration, or if it's just something that Ford/Magna built in to artificially damp the responsiveness of the car. The car is so responsive otherwise (as long as you don't cross over this drive/regen line) that it almost spoils the fun when this does happen.

I've had a chance to drive a Tesla Model S, which has all of its regen controlled by the "go pedal", and there's no detectable lag in switching between drive and regen there. Aside from the obvious difference in available torque/power, this switching lag in the FFE is the other detectable difference in how the two cars respond to accelerator pedal changes.

Back