Charging door is getting hard to open/close. Suggestions?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wplate

The charging door on my FFE is getting harder and harder to open/close. It it as though it needs to be lubricated.

This video demonstrates...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8lrbMQNBio

Are other owners having a similar issue? What to do about it?

Fwiw, the door on my 2013 is still working fine. I open/close it about once per day. I just press the "indent" to pop open (door "spins" out automatically) and then again to close (door spins in automatically again).

Yours seems to have prematurely worn out, or perhaps was defective to begin with. What to do? Your FFE is still under warranty, no? Take it to the dealer.

FWIW, I notice that mine opens very slowly, or not at all, in very cold weather. When it warms up, it opens more like normal.

Thanks, both, for the replies. I will contact the dealer to ask about this.

I don't like the design of this door, the design gets in the way of the utility.

Of all the things to get wrong! How they didn't make this just like a traditional gas tank door I'll never know. Some designer trying to overreach and make a styling statement perhaps? I also don't like how it's not locking, or at least a release lever inside the car. Ford could change this and it's not likely anyone would complain.

I actually like the design. The consequences of leaving it open are minimal. Look at any other EV where the charge port door was left open and you'll see what I mean.

I do wish there was a warning light for it though.

Count me in with the people that like the design as well. I find it quite resilient despite the really cheap quality feel to it.

Even when it has been frozen in place or covered in ice I've been able to open/close it without any damage. It seems to not like the really cold weather--have to give it a hand in those conditions.

I stopped by the dealer and asked them about this. They said if the door opens then Ford considers that it works. Since my door opens there's no problem.

I will be interested in see if it "springs" back to life when the weather warms up.

Have you tried a liberal application of silicone spray?
Open the charge port door.
Stretch a rag or towel so the upper edge is just below the plastic plunger rod and tape it to the car with blue masking tape so it protects the car from over-spray and drips.
Shoot a lot of the spray on the plunger rod with the intent of flushing out grime and contamination. One of those WD-40 type concentrator tubes might help.
Remove the rag and operate the door repeatedly.
Repeat the flushing process if necessary.

There are many types of silicone sprays. Make sure you get one that is food grade as those with VOCs may harm the paint or plastic.

My door has not gotten stuck, but that's what I'd do if it did.

I had the hinge/joint mechanism replaced under warranty this week. One night I went to close the door to run an errand and when I pushed it in the spring in it went "pop". Had to pry the door open with a tape covered flat head since my stubby fingers couldn't pull it out using the edge. I removed the cover until the dealer got the parts in and felt the shame of driving around like that for a couple days. Though I think more people realized it was an electric during that time.
The prices on the bill if it wasn't a warranty issue ended up being $169.69. I'm assuming this falls under the 8 year "electric car parts" warranty.

Tell me more about that 8 year electric car parts warranty. My dealer seems to know nothing about electric cars so I'm wondering about the extended warranty they're trying to sell me.

Zurc.

I'm having an opposite problem - maybe. 2 days in a row now, I've looked out at my car from the office door and the lid is open. Yesterday I wasn't 100% sure it was closed when I arrived to work, but today I am. I clearly remember closing it when I unplugged this morning, and I clearly remember looking at the car when I hit the Lock button on the remote.

Now, I suppose it could be somebody just messing with me, but seems unlikely for a few reasons.

So it seems like the door pops open on it's own within 2 hours of my arrival at work.
Seems fishy. Either it's broken somehow, or being 'vandalized'. Neither seem likely to me. Has anyone else had a 'pop-open' problem?

I've had it happen once or twice (parking the car with it closed to find it open upon return). I think it is curious people pressing the detent and then not wanting to close it because its feels flimsy and they don't want to break it (given that they don't know how to close it properly).

jmueller065 said:
I've had it happen once or twice (parking the car with it closed to find it open upon return). I think it is curious people pressing the detent and then not wanting to close it because its feels flimsy and they don't want to break it (given that they don't know how to close it properly).

Haha that's funny, I wonder how many people have opened and successfully closed the cover without any of us ever knowing...

Back