EFFICIENT HEATER SOLUTION FOUND

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotusman

So I got tired of shivering in my car with no heat since the heater ford shipped with this car is such a power hog (I get barely 30 miles of range on a very cold day with the heater on)

So I did the following:

I bought a lasko "my heat 101" $18 on amazon

It draws only 200 watts and puts out REAL HEAT

It is line voltage so I wired a 250 watt inverter straight to the 12v battery.

I installed the heater under my seat

Problem solved. Only 200 watts draw (with a little extra for inverter efficiency loss).

After preconditioning, the little heater does a great job keeping the cabin warm!

Are you able to recirculate cabin air with car heat off to keep the windows clear and not fogged?

Sometimes I could do without the cabin heating (thanks, heated seat) but the windows start to fog up in a few minutes...

Where do you have the inverter located? Manually turn it on/off as needed? Wired directly to the battery with an in-line fuse, or can the 12V adapter push that much current?

It is certainly a bit of a fire risk to put a 200W heater under the seat -- even though it's designed to have cool sides, it's in a small enclosed space with likely flammable materials all around. It all boils down to personal responsibility i.e. making sure it is never on unless you are in the car and would detect or smell an issue.

Back