AeroVironment Installation

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susan

I purchased 2 FFEV's and immediately contacted AeroVironment to arrange an installation. I realized that a charger would be more effective for me. The contact at the company sold me on the 25' cord version with a one day installation , which is the most convenient option" , has a 3 yr warranty and costs $1900 or the multi visit option. Of course I selected the one day visit! A few days later a local electrician contacted us for an appt. My husband was home and walked around the house with the electrician who was trying to figure my install out. He was complaining that he went to training and did not have enough install jobs and of course he did not have the device on him, it had to be ordered which meant no 1 day install for me. The electrician never called us back so I called the company back to say I would buy the device on Amazon and use my electrician. The young man on the line was apologetic and asked me to give him a day to sort it all out. He said if I installed it on my own way I would not have a 3 yr warrenty. Against my better judgement I agreed.

The electrician eventually called and we set up an install date for the following week. It is great to have a charger but now the entire process cost over $3,000! The electrician sent me a bill for $1,200 which I immediately paid. He said we were getting a break on the device which was not listed on the invoice. I thought that AeroVironment was going to charge my credit card for the device now that I paid the electrician directly.

To my horror last night I looked at my AmEx bill and have a $1,900 charge for the device and installation. I called the company today and the rep tried to explain to me that I had a 2 day install and that the fee was included. I do not do math this was. The device is around $900 so what is the $1,000 for AND what happened to the discount the electrician told me about?

He said he would investigate and get back to me. I plan on processing a charge back if this is not resolved. If this is a better process than Best Buy stay away. They might make a good product but this is a grand rip off. They do not have a handle on installs.

Susan said:
To my horror last night I looked at my AmEx bill and have a $1,900 charge for the device and installation.

At least you charged the bill on your credit card. If they don't credit you $1,000, you can dispute the charge.

My experience with Best Buy stopped when they told me I had to pay $100 up front to have someone tell me if my house would support a 240 plug and they would need to determine where to place the plug. I told them I could have any electrician tell me that for free. Goodbye.

My local utility had a deal where they would pay up to $2500 for the EVSE + Installation. They went through a program called "plug in now":

http://www.pluginnow.com/residential

The total bill for our EVSE was $2663 which meant that it cost me only $163 out of pocket. In addition to that it also included me in the TOD EV electricity rate program. My first full months electricity bill for the FFE was $38.

I recommend:

Leviton's Evr-Green 320 Electric Vehicle Charging Station, Cord Connected, NEMA 6-50P, 32A, 240V AC, 7.7kW Output, 25-Foot Cord

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=EVB32-M5L&section=37741&minisite=10251

This charging station can be installed indoors or outdoors, by any electrician.

Beware of any company that requires you to use THEIR electrician, especially when that electrician's services are seriously overpriced.

Back