Confused GPS since 3.6.2

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilotgeek

Hello all,

I have noticed recently that the navigation is frequently off by a block or two (upwards of 1/8 mi or so) recently. I do not know if this issue is related to my recent upgrade to 3.6.2, but this problem has only shown up after the upgrade -- noticed it a few days later.

Has anyone ever seen any issues with the GPS on the system? Is there a way to see how well it is receiving (number of satellites, WAAS/SBAS, etc)? Are there any diagnostics available to me?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you might have on this topic.

Regards,
Neal

I am still on 3.5.1.
My has a been a bit wonky since I picked it up, showing off a bit until I drive a mile or two. It may be due to tree cover by my house.
But today the Nav totally froze up. It stayed on a static picture of the map. I got the ring around the car to blink a couple of times, but not like it normally does. I had to eject the SD card and wait for the error and re-insert the SD card to re-start the Nav processes.
Not sure if it's related, but seems like another bug.
Rudy

I've upgraded to the 3.6.2, but I do not have the same issue with the GPS. Rebooting the microsoft MySync usually does the trick (see manual for how to do a reset).

Still running 3.1, and I too have seen the GPS somehow become "offset" a little bit, sometimes showing that I'm on some road parallel to the one I'm actually on. Eventually it corrects itself.

Wow... a MFT bug that made it through 3 revisions. Shocking.

My experience with nav accuracy has been better with 3.5.1 and/ or 3.6.2 updates, compared to the original 3.1.3 installed at purchase. When running 3.1.3, my vehicle position was often incorrect in the nav map, especially when driving through the Indiana Dunes area- my car appeared to be on a railroad track or in a marsh, for instance. I assumed it was bad map data, since drives through the same area while running the last two updates have not shown the same nav behavior.

Pretty sure I'm on 3.5.1. Like you're experiencing, the navigation does strange things. The car was about 1 block west from where I was really traveling for a long time, like 20 minutes. Then all of a sudden it snapped to the correct position. It also messed up on a destination, thinking it was about 4 miles south of where it really was. As I approached the physical location, the GPS snapped to the correct location.

We also own a 2012 Focus Titanium - I've never seen that problem.

On the other hand, I've owned a lot of GPSs and logged a lot of miles with them. At one time or another, they all get confused and misplace you on the map.

It kind of sounds like there might be a problem with the GPS antenna or the software in the Focus Electric. Pretty sure we do have a different Nav SD card than the normal Focus.

Sad to say it this way, but we can't rely blindly 100% on the GPS. The thing I love about the electric, I seem to be a lot more aware of where I'm going, how I'm driving, and things around me. So it is easier to catch those glitches in navigation.

EVA said:
Pretty sure we do have a different Nav SD card than the normal Focus.

Most likely not; and its the same software. We also have a normal ICE Focus and I used the exact same thumb drive to update both cars to 3.6.2.

pilotgeek said:
Hello all,

I have noticed recently that the navigation is frequently off by a block or two (upwards of 1/8 mi or so) recently.

My 2003 Lincoln had the ability to calibrate the GPS for the vehicle. I don't see that in the Focus manual, but I bet the dealer has the capability to calibrate.

If I remember, they had you drive in circles in a parking lot while using a calibration screen on the Nav. You might ask your dealer....

jmueller065 said:
EVA said:
Pretty sure we do have a different Nav SD card than the normal Focus.

Most likely not; and its the same software. We also have a normal ICE Focus and I used the exact same thumb drive to update both cars to 3.6.2.

Thank you JMueller - I have a 2012 Focus also and after the fact looked that the two NAV chips, they are identical. And you are also correct, the update software is exactly the same.

Ford Focus EV 2013;
I am having the same GPS problems. Shows wrong location, including that I am in Michigan, at the factory.
:!: :!:

Focus EV 2013 - purchased in June 2013.
I have the following issues:
1) GPS shows that car is on The American Road (at factory) in Michigan. (I think the car is homesick).
2) After a while ( 10 minutes) the GPS catches up where the car is and then freezes again, It is always of by 1 to 2 miles.
3) Clock shows wrong time.
4) Rear camera shows when driving forward (Once so far).
5) Some times the rear camera does not come on.
6) SYNC software reboots itself a few times a day. Once twice in 5 minutes.
7) Blue tooth connection does not work sometimes. Does not connect or the phone does not hang up.
8) Screen freezes up.

Upset in So. Cal.

Back