Charging interop warning: Siemens VersiCharge w/ Ford Focus

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pciccone

I have found out today (the hard way) that an compatibility problem exists between the Siemens VersiCharge and the Ford Focus BEV cards. Specifically, you will receive a "fault condition" when using the "GO times" feature and possibly when charging a car that is nearly, or completely full already. The work-around for now, until Ford and/or Siemens get this resolved is to disable your "GO times" and avoid pulling in a car that is already charged, or nearly charged.

Siemens has not been able to offer me an ETA on resolution yet, but assures me they are actively working with Ford on the problem.

Did you notice this right away? I ask because I just got one of these and I've charged a couple times without problems, despite having go times configured.

WP

Sure did, we can produce it every time. The fault only appears when the go time actually hits. Ray at Siemens practically finished my sentence when I started telling him what was happening.

Weird. I charged right through my go time this morning without any issue. Is your FFE a 2012 or 2013? Mine's a 2013.

Ok, so this morning I moved my go time earlier, and came out about 20 minutes after the go time to let things go longer than previously, and yes the charger was faulted. The previous two times it was only a few minutes past the go time and everything was fine. I'll adjust my go time and repeat this tomorrow and see if I can narrow down the window of time when the fault is occurring. i.e. How long past the go time does it still work without faulting?

This is very strange, as you may well know, because the J1772 only communicates with the car with the 12V pilot signal. So the EVSE "advertises" the L1/L2 amperage it supports via the PWM (pulse width modulation) of the signal, and the car changes the state of operation by pulling the voltage of the signal down to certain levels, which the EVSE senses and adjusts its state accordingly. e.g. when the car pulls the voltage down to +6V, the EVSE opens the high voltage relay and allows the current to flow and charging to start.

So I'm not sure what the FFE could be doing that would cause the problem. The operation is very simple, so unless one side (the FFE) or the other (the EVSE), or both, are misreading the pilot signal, I don't see what could be wrong. Fixing the EVSE won't be simple, as these really aren't serviceable units, but maybe Ford can do something to workaround the problem on the car side.

In any case, this thread really belongs in the Charging forum at this point. Maybe a moderator can move it?

WP

I just installed my Versicharger yesterday and woke this morning to find it in fault as well, presumably sometime during the "Go Time" setting as described. I was able to restart it and it continued to charge without issue. Also the cab was definately warm so it clearly worked for a little while before faulting.

Is there a particular site or email you guys have been using to alert Siemens and Ford?

Strods, Raymond <[email protected]>

I also let Ray know that it will happen with more than just Go Times, It will also happen when the vehicle is nearly full (98%, 99%) and re-plugged in. We also saw it happen when full, and doors opened (or accessories turned on) while still plugged in.

We have to be careful, if we return to the car to get something after it is plugged we watch for a fault or we will think it is charging, when it is really not.

pciccone said:
Strods, Raymond <[email protected]>

I also let Ray know that it will happen with more than just Go Times, It will also happen when the vehicle is nearly full (98%, 99%) and re-plugged in. We also saw it happen when full, and doors opened (or accessories turned on) while still plugged in.

We have to be careful, if we return to the car to get something after it is plugged we watch for a fault or we will think it is charging, when it is really not.

Great thanks! I'll contact him now. What a drag!

I've given up on the Siemens unit. As pointed out by others in previous posts, it faults all the time for a variety of reasons now, so back to Amazon it goes.

I found the newer, cheaper 30A Leviton Evr-Green 300 (EVB45-3PT) unit that's guaranteed to work correctly with the FFE at Home Depot, and it comes with all the mounting accessories, for only $849.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=EVB45-3PT&section=37741&minisite=10251

The cord is 2 ft shorter and the unit isn't adjustable like the Siemens (where you could dial back the amperage if you had a weaker circuit), but those aren't problems for me.

Same charging speed + cheaper cost + no faults = Happiness :)

WP

WindPowered said:
I've given up on the Siemens unit. As pointed out by others in previous posts, it faults all the time for a variety of reasons now, so back to Amazon it goes.

I never came back to here to update. We did as well, we removed the Siemens and installed the Blink HQ charger. No problems now.

Back