Lean to passenger door = unlock + hazards?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WattsUp

Today, while driving, I noticed a buzz coming from the passenger side door. When I had a quick moment (with car still moving), I leaned over to press a part of the door I thought the vibration might be coming from.

Then something strange happened... the doors unlocked and hazard lights came on for a second. I thought I had imagined it, so I locked the doors and tried again.

Sure, enough, the doors unlocked again! I repeated this a few times. Sometimes (but not every time) the hazards would also flash.

Is this supposed to be happening? It is some kind of safety feature? That is, the car is "detecting" that the driver has "slumped over" and perhaps about to lose control... so leave the car unlocked (so emergency personnel can get in) and turn on the hazards (to warn others)?

When I got home, I tried the same learning around while parked, but didn't get any reaction.

The front seats have weight sensors. Most probably when you leaned on the other side, the driver seat sensor detected the movement and some safety feature implemented in the software activated all this. Nice!

Yup... you were right. I must have been leaning on my keys. I couldn't make it happen again today. But, when I pressed the "unlock" button (of course) on my remote, the doors unlocked and the hazards flashed. So, that must have been it.

Doh! :oops:

I have hit a botton on my key fob in my pocket several times wiping the car down after a rain. Maybe they need to revise the shape of the key fob.

Back