Fluke

Re: Pros and Cons

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:36 am

I'd have to say that the list of issues with MFT/Sync that WattsUp has had seemed too short. I've seen/had issues with everything he mentioned and more. I've done multiple forced reboots with USB devices removed to attempt to exorcise the software demons that plague this software.
2012 White Platinum Ford Focus Electric
Yes, SYNC is that bad

WattsUp

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:55 pm

My list wasn't meant to be exhaustive. :)

Another bug I noticed yesterday (since I don't play CDs that often): Play a CD, switch the MFT screen to Navigation (or some section other than Entertainment), switch CD tracks (with the physical buttons on the console), note that "Track 3" (or whatever) is displayed in the Entertainment segment's "status area" (at the bottom left). Now, change volume (so the volume level will briefly display in the status area). When the level goes away, the status area is left completely blank, no longer displaying the currently playing CD track. Intended behavior, or a bug?

I am also annoyed how the radio comes blasting on whenever you eject a CD, even though the current source before inserting the CD was not the radio. IMO, the audio should revert whatever the pre-CD source was (which, in my case, would almost always be the USB drive).
2013 FFE, Platinum White, Delivered January 2013
2017 MS, Midnight Silver Metallic, Delivered February 2017
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

WattsUp

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:02 pm

Steve wrote:WattsUp, I have had almost none of the issues you mention. The only time I have noticed lagging is sometimes when I first start the car. It seems like MFT / Sync is busy booting up. This is especially true if I plug in a USB device. It is busy indexing it (and tells me so on the screen).
Yeah, it seems even slower when booting up. I guess your tolerance for sluggishness is higher than mine. ;)

IMO, overall the system could/should be a lot more responsive than it is. I mean, it's 2013!
Steve wrote:Regarding your USB device issues, have you tried doing a master reset on MFT? I read in the manual under the privacy section that is how you force MFT to delete data about the devices you have connected (especially your phone and USB devices).
That's the one thing I haven't tried yet. I just didn't want to deal with a "big reset" unless I absolutely had to.

Besides, I was kind of hoping a 3.5 update for the FFE would be coming soon, which perhaps would address the issue. (Or, at least a reset might simply be par for the course with such an update.)
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

WattsUp

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:07 pm

jmueller065 wrote:I'm curious: What version of MFT/Sync are you running? (Not sure how you get that out of the car, it is reported on syncmyride.com).

I ask because those issues sound like a version ago (our MFT cars are running ver 3.5.1 of sync).

It wouldn't surprise me if MFT/Sync on the FFE is a rev back due to the additional work required for the FFE specific features.
I've run the Sync version checker tool and it reports my FFE has "SYNC Version Gen2 - V3.1.3".

Also, the last time I was at the dealer (a few weeks ago), I asked if my FFE had the latest software. They checked it, and said yes. I asked if an MFT update was coming, and they said they didn't know.

But yes... the FFE hasn't received the 3.5 update yet. I sure hope it does. Based on what you say, it sounds like a lot of stuff has been improved.

felkster

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:42 am

3.5.1 is about to be deployed to electrified vehicles. I had a chat with some Ford EV guys and all that was waiting was a final version of the power control module firmware.

The update to 3.5.1 is a bit more involved than on non-electrified vehicles because of the PCM update. Everyone else just needs a new SD card for maps and a quick flash via USB.

I was told that we'd all get postcards letting us know when to bring the cars into the dealerships for the PCM flash + update.

WattsUp

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:20 pm

felkster wrote:3.5.1 is about to be deployed to electrified vehicles.
Awwww-yeah. :D

Thanks felkster. I really got a charge from this news.

WattsUp

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:22 pm

@felkster: So... what is the power control module (I can guess, but what exactly) and why does it need to be updated with the infotainment software? Is it just that, if they are going to have people come in for an update anyway, why not update some of the EV component software too?

And who are these "EV guys" that you have access to? ;)

Exhausted

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:24 pm

We've had our new Ice Storm FFE for a week now. I love it as much as I anticipated I would. Range easily covers my 50 mile commute (though I'm still curious about the posts that refer to winter weather. We're in Texas so I'll learn what summer does to it instead.)

I just wanted to express my appreciation to this forum as an excellent source of information for the prospective buyer.

These cars are so new to the dealerships that few salespeople know anything about them. If you've read the Ford websites and this forum, be prepared to know more than almost every salesperson you'll meet on the lot.

I was fortunate that my internet query was vectored by a savvy sales manager to the one guy at the dealership who had researched EVs and was driving one regularly.

As an illustration of the opposite, a second salesperson was trying to help when I actually took delivery and he was going to set me up for my first oil change!

But even for all my learning, it was after I got it home that my son pointed out I had paid the inspection fee which included an emissions test. In our state, emission-exempt vehicles pay the original pre-emissions test rate. Oh well, I'll chalk that $13 up to the dealer still learning about EVs and not assume they were trying to slip an additional charge past me.

Keep up the good work. The pros and cons post early sums up a lot of good information.
Exhausted
"Because exhaust is SO past tense!"
2013 FFE Ice Storm purchased 3/14/13 - Austin, TX

v_traveller

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:18 pm

Ha! I think you should demand the dealer take $13 off of that first oil change.

I too was lucky enough to get a sales manager that was knowledgeable. Made my experience of buying the FFE painless and very informative.

BTW, if you think the sales folk are largely uninformed... wait 'til you take the FFE in for some warranty work. Friday morning, my heater blower motor went out. Took it in Saturday morning, and they're still working on it today (Monday), apparently because they've had to resort to swapping emails with Ford to figure this one out. They said that they've narrowed it down to the interior temp sensor, but have to wait until tomorrow to get it and install it.
vin
2015 B-Class Electric Drive - Cirrus White
2014 Volt - Summit White
2014 RAV4 EV - Blizzard Pearl White
2013 FFE - White Platinum Metallic (2/2013 -12/2015)
http://ev-vin.blogspot.com/

dmspen

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:41 am

When we get the postcards saying to go to the dealer to get updated, does anyone know if we can go to any dealer?
:?: :?:

Return to “General / Main Focus Electric Owners Forum”