I want the software in this video...

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't comment about the software in the FFE since I don't have mine (yet) but I can comment about the My Ford Touch(MFT) software in general (since we have two vehicles with it: my current 2012 Focus, and a 2011 Edge--the first vehicle released with MFT).

MFT has, in general, suffered greatly due to the "lowest bidder". The original vendor for MFT way underbid it and didn't know what they were getting into. Thus the first releases of MFT were just terrible.

The result was that Ford got dinged pretty badly on quality in many consumer circles (it was slow, half the advertised stuff didn't work etc.). This is about the time that this video above was created--great ambitions but crappy implementation.

Since then Ford & Microsoft have taken over development of the MFT software and have devoted a lot of time to fixing many of the bugs (with at least two significant releases of MFT last year one in March and one in mid December). As it is now there are still many people unhappy with the current state of the software (my take in our two vehicles: It is sooo much better than it was back in 2011--its amazing, but they still have a ways to go. Its gone from almost unusable to having a few annoying quirks!).

The net affect of the bug fixing is that many features deemed not important (like the butterfly display) have been removed until the software is stable (there are a few features that I'd really like back in my Focus: the 1, and 2 shortcut buttons aren't configurable anymore, and on an iOS device it doesn't download the media list via bluetooth so you can use voice commands like "play artist xyz" when on bluetooth). They are continuing to work on it though (many are still complaining that the applications don't work--they never did. In Sync 1.0 the applications work great, in MFT (sync 2.0) they never worked).

Having said all that: The best part is that its only software--it can be changed after the sale without taking your car to the dealer (the last update I downloaded from www.syncmyride.com and updated it myself).

Back