MFT ignoring touch input... then rebooted... while driving!!

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WattsUp

I was driving along today in my 2013 FFE and had switched to the Navigation screen. Later, I wanted to switch back to the Entertainment screen, but the touch screen would not respond. The beepy feedback sound wasn't even being made when touching the screen.

Strangely, the map was still animating (with my changing location) but after 10 minutes I still could not switch away from the Navigation screen. I also attempted to use voice control, but it too was dead. I finally gave up and figured I would turn off the car for a while when I got home and then it would probably be fixed the next time I turned it on.

But, before I could get home, as I was still driving, the MFT screen suddenly went blank for 30 seconds, then "SYNC by Microsoft" appeared followed by a progress bar saying "Performing scheduled system maintenance" for about a minute. When the system was finally back up and running, all appeared normal. MFT had apparently decided to reboot when it damn well pleased.

Is this sort of thing supposed to happen while driving? Anyone else had this disconcerting experience?

This type of behavior has happened with increasing frequency for me - I'd say a total of 6 to 8 times so far. My system seems to get more and more buggy. The USB is now basically unusable because it is so erratic. I've tried using the "outofmytouch" delayed reboot tool and it did perform a soft reboot, but I still have the same issues.

I would take the car into the Ford dealership to have them take a look at it. It could be that one of the software updates didn't cleanly install. I have notice some erratic behavior with my 2013 if leave something plugged into USB port.

You can't leave something plugged into the USB port?

I plugged in a thumb drive with music on it. The USB ports aren't located in a very convenient place (inside the center armrest, under a removable shelf) to keeping plugging/unplugging. Kinda seems like they expect you leave things plugged in there.... certainly a thumb drive with music on it would be an ideal candidate.

I had mine do the reboot once right after I started it. I'd only had the car a few days and when the screen went black it gave me a sinking feeling inside like it had died, already. A few minutes later and it was just fine. I have had the entertainment button disappear on me twice. I have to push one of the other corners and then it comes back. Now my computer doesn't seem to know where the car is. Is charging in the driveway and myfordmobile says it's "out and about". It won't let me change the Go Times either.

Have any of you tried pulling the fuse for Sync and letting it do a "hard reboot"? This usually fixes any MFT issues for me (granted in an ICE Focus though).

On my ICE Focus the Sync fuse is in the fusebox in the passenger footwell--its a pain to get to. My procedure: Turn engine off, pull fuse, turn engine on to make sure I got the correct fuse (screen will remain off), turn engine off, replace fuse and finally turn engine back on and watch the reboot screen reappear after 10-20 seconds or so.

Just had to do this the past weekend because the bluetooth stack got completely messed up (it was trying to connect to a phone that it wasn't connected to but the phone still had a profile for the car in it before a MFT upgrade..I'm sure that wasn't good! LOL).

SYNC went blank and rebooted last night for the first time (I'm at 9500 miles since July). If I don't see it again for 6 months, I'll just assume the SYNC software drove into the weeds and the watchdog issued a reset. With a system as buggy as SYNC, I'm guessing this is likely to happen from time to time.

Tim

Back