Estimating range/usage with a smartphone

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmueller065

About a week ago I put an order in for one (FFE).

While waiting for it to arrive (yeah a long wait..expecting 8-12 weeks). I've been using the iOS app: iEV2 to estimate battery usage for my daily commute. Has anyone also done this,and more importantly, verified the apps figures once you got your FFE? (Granted once you got the car I'm sure you were more interested in what the car told you than a smartphone app.)

My thoughts are: If some of you who already have a FFE (and an iPhone) could also run iEV2 for a few days comparing its measurements with real-world figures it would go a long way towards people like myself (or even people who are just considering an electric vehicle) making that decision.

(As a short point of reference: iEV2 yesterday reported my ~36 mile round trip commute as consuming 7kWh of battery--it seemed a little low to me.)

5 miles per kWh may be possible in mild temperature, flat road and 40 mph but a more realistic number based on my 7600 miles of driving is 4 miles per kWhr in nice weather and 3 miles per kWhr in below freezing weather. My average from June to the present is 3.5 miles per kWh in Rochester NY with a variety of temps and driving conditions.

Note I an NOT a zen driver. I never go anyplace where I am at risk of running out of energy so I drive the car in a "fun" mode.

Back