Annoying vibrations in door panels from speakers

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WattsUp

I love my FFE but, by far, my biggest disappointment is the apparently shoddy assembly of the door panels in relation to road vibrations and especially vibrations from the embedded speakers when playing audio.

For audio, I get annoying "buzzing" vibrations especially from the front passenger door, and both rear doors, even at only moderate volumes. It just takes a small bit of bass in the music, and annoying resonances and vibrations become plainly audible. On the front passenger door, I can easily reach over and touch "just the right spot" (near the door latch) and the buzzing stops. Similarly, I can also significantly reduce the noisiness of the rear door noises applying pressure to various spots.

In addition, when not playing music, I often hear "plasticy" rattling noises depending on the road conditions. I know every car will (or will eventually) have these... but my 12-year old Accord has less than my brand new FFE. It spoils the experience of driving along in an otherwise very quiet car.

Anyone else hear excessive rattles and vibrations from their FFE door panels, especially for music? Any ideas about what can be done? Anyone done anything? I'm tempted to find out how to disassemble/assemble the doors, so I can install dampening materials and/or glue things together that would otherwise vibrate.

Thanks,
- Matt

I had my left rear door trim panel replaced under warranty for the same thing. It was defective. I have had a buzz on the right rear in very cold weather. I agree that the trim panels aren't the tightest. There are likely only a couple screws securing them to the sheet metal and a lot of plastic christmas trees/push pins.

So, they really made it better?

I'm just afraid, if I ask them to do something, they'll take the door all apart, and when they put it back together, it will be twice as bad.

My right rear door does the same thing. Just a little bass in whatever music I happen to be listening to makes it vibrate. It is a busted speaker. I'm sure they awarded the contract to the lowest bidder and cut corners where they thought they could. Get it warrantied. Doors panels come off super easy - even most dealerships can't mess that up too bad. I am careful about what I take in though, there's always the chance they monkey something up worse than what it was - and then it is like arguing with a 2nd grader on why they should fix it properly (most of us have probably seen that movie already).

I have the same issue with the bass up in the front driver door. It sounds like tis coming from the seatbelt area. I will get to the dealer when i get a minute.

Anyone have information about taking apart the interior door panels?

I want to look into applying a product like "Rattlepad" inside the door and/or take other measures to kill speaker vibrations.

I searched for those auto repair books (Chilton, etc.) for the Ford Focus 2012 (electric or not), but they don't seem to be available yet.

WattsUp said:
Anyone have information about taking apart the interior door panels?

I want to look into applying a product like "Rattlepad" inside the door and/or take other measures to kill speaker vibrations.

I searched for those auto repair books (Chilton, etc.) for the Ford Focus 2012 (electric or not), but they don't seem to be available yet.

I tried, but couldn't find, an online shop manual.

In essence, with any modern doorpanel you just want to remove any lever escutcheons, courtesy lights, holding screws, etc..., and then just pop the door panel clips off around the perimeter. Best to use platic interior tools as they won't mar your new car and are gentle with the involved materials. Don't use excessive force and if it doesn't want to come off look more closely to see what might be holding the panel back. Then, report back to us...lol.

Looks like http://www.helminc.com has an online manual for the 2012 FFE. $10.95 to stare at it for 72 hours.

I have a speaker rattle at the right rear, hasn't annoyed me enough to plunk down $10.95 yet...

Back