Brake Grab

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hokus

Has any one else experienced what I have been calling "brake grabbing" when the vehicle is first driven for the day? What happens is that the first few times I start to brake, normally trying to make the most of the regenerative braking, the brakes with "grab" suddenly, just for a second, and then function fine. Now that I think of it, maybe "grab" isn't the best word. Whatever it is, it isn't normal. It's almost like its stutters when transitioning from regen to actual disc braking. It only does it the first few times that you brake and then goes away. It's also not anything scary or disconcerting but it doesn't seem normal, especially since it goes away. I was telling my wife about it and she finally experienced it the other day so I know I'm not imagining it. It happened again today when I first took the car out. I'd mainly like to know if this is common or if it's something I should talk to my dealer about.

Thanks.

Well, based on the number of views and replies it's beginning to look like it's just my car. It did it again today so I may have to talk to the dealer.

Without knowing how severe it is it is hard to judge. But the brakes do feel different with the regen effect, the transition from regen to normal braking.

Every once in a awhile I do feel a little "grab" on initial braking, but I have just chalked it up to a characteristic of the regen system.

I'm assuming it has something to do with that. My only concern is because it seems to do it only early in the driving of the vehicle. After the brakes have been applied a few times it seems to stop doing it.

Thanks.

Brake rotors rust while the car sits. The brakes are not used as much as cars without regen. I suspect that the first few applications clean the rotors of the rust. I currently own an Escape Hybrid as well as the Electric. My experience is that the rotors become damaged due to rust before they wear out.

This would seem to suggest that it might be a good idea to take the car out for some "heavy braking" every now and then, to keep the rotors conditioned.

I dunno, perhaps once a month?

I test drove a brand new FFE a week ago and the brakes were definitely grabbing for the first few stops, but then stopped.

Ive had mine for 2 weeks and the only time I feel a jerk is if I press hard when I cant make the green light.

I am experiencing the same thing although it seems a bit random to me, not exclusively in the morning. Sometimes it happens when I am going downhill and brake, when I speed up then suddenly brake, or when I am pulling out slowly from a driveway for example. It has happened about five times and it feels like a strong jolt.

My wife's FFE does not have this problem at all although she has had two "Stop safely warnings" while my FFE has had none of these warnings. The dealer replaced the the cooling system for the batteries and she has not had any issues since then. I have taken my car in for this brake grab but they have not been able to duplicate/diagnose the problem.

Back