New driver to the EV community.. hello

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmaki

I have been making my 38.6 mile (each way) commute in my Honda Civic CNG until last week when I blew up the motor. it had 160,000 miles on it and it saved me a huge amount of money and time (HOV lane access) during its life. I was literally minutes away from buying a 2012 CNG Civic when I got a text from my boss saying I could use 110v outlet at work which suddenly put EV on my radar. When I bought my Civic I vowed to never commute in a gasoline powered car again and to make my next car an full EV, a vow I have now kept!

Stopped at Galpin Ford in Van Nuys and they extended a lease offer I could not pass up so I pulled the trigger right there on the spot last night and took my new Focus home. I am now scrambling to get 240 set up at the house and will have survive off 110 for a few weeks which I think I can do (barely) with the added juice I am getting at work.

I made the first leg of my journey (38.6 miles from Santa Clarita to LAX) starting with a full charge and had an estimated 52 miles left when I arrived at work, that was running climate control, windshield wipers and stereo the whole way. Of course the drive into work is mostly downhill so it is sketchy at to whether I would make it back but I am plugged in here at work and already up to 60% with an estimate of being fully charged before I leave for the day.

I also have the added benefit of Galpin Ford being right on my route home, about 16 miles short of home, to use (they have charging stations) as a bail out if I am ever in trouble with range.

Anyway just saying hi to the board and after one day of driving I love the car... miles above my old Civic and at least a cut or two above the 2012 Civic.

PS: I just ordered the GE Wattstation from Amazon, have SCE coming out to install the new Meter and have an electrician lined up to do the work.

Congrats on the new wheels!

If I can ask, what are terms of your lease? I read Ford has some great lease rates going now on the EV Focus. Almost too good to pass up. I think I might get one too!

Sounds the ideal application for an EV - downhill to work, charge up an have a full charge to get back home

Well somehow it feels wrong to give the EXACT details but I will share enough to get the gist...

I basically stopped by the other day and was shown a normal "fair" lease deal.. pretty much what you would expect for a $30,000 car... So i walked out.

But I then directed Galpin to this offer:

http://www.yoursoutherncaliforniaford.com/vehicles/2013FordFiesta/?LeadSource=FDAF-BannerAd&AltLeadSource=RTFBannerAd&LeadSourceId=&bannerid=362064|91406239|265737249

$249 /mo. for 36 mos.
Ford Credit Red Carpet Lease
$2138 Cash Due at Signing

Security deposit waived
Taxes, title and license fees extra

And I can say they pretty much gave me that exact deal... they even beat it slightly. Once I had that offer it was too good to pass up. My current plan is to probably even purchase the car at lease end.

Thanks. That's the offer I heard of. It almost seemed too good to be true, because don't you still get $2500 back from the State of California?

One other question, how much are license fees? Do they base it on the MSRP or a reduced amount, I guess maybe the capitalized cost around 30K.

EVF said:
Thanks. That's the offer I heard of. It almost seemed too good to be true, because don't you still get $2500 back from the State of California?

One other question, how much are license fees? Do they base it on the MSRP or a reduced amount, I guess maybe the capitalized cost around 30K.

OK, Taking numbers directly off my contract.

The license Registration fees are $362.00. I don't know how to figure out whether that is based on MSRP or reduced price.

The Base cap cost is $40,938 and the adjusted cap cost is $28,412

I do believe that Ford takes the Federal Credit but that you still get to take the state credit but I must admit I did not specifically ask so I can't complain if I do not get the State Credit. Even if I don't I will still be happy with the deal.

gmaki said:
EVF said:

OK, Taking numbers directly off my contract.

The license Registration fees are $362.00. I don't know how to figure out whether that is based on MSRP or reduced price.

The Base cap cost is $40,938 and the adjusted cap cost is $28,412

I do believe that Ford takes the Federal Credit but that you still get to take the state credit but I must admit I did not specifically ask so I can't complain if I do not get the State Credit. Even if I don't I will still be happy with the deal.

"Only" $362 for license fees is excellent.....for California that is! They must use the lower Cap cost to calculate that, that's a big savings.

I think you can still claim the $2500 state rebate directly, and not through the dealer.

Back