Got a BIG PG&E bill $662!

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTOGreg

So my average this time of year is about $500-$560. But we were pretty conservative this year. Electrical was about $500 of that. Total kWh consumption was up to 1700 vs 1200 in the year ago period (+/-). So, in analyzing the bill, I'm clearly going to have to move to E-9B if I'm going to stick with this EV deal, and that means adding another meter. I looked into it today and it is going to take 1.) an electrician, 2.) a city permit, and 3.) installation of a new panel (a parallel main panel from the same street feed). So, I'm looking into this with a buddy that is an electrician and might be able to cut costs a bit. Still, a wake up call to TCO. I'd just hate to have all this work done and then some alternative plan come along in 2 years that doesn't require a separate meter. Anyone know how much a separate main panel would cost, along with permits? How about the base rate of electricity on that 2nd meter? .04/kWh sounds good but I don't want to pay a $50 base rate on top of that...I'm not selling my old BMW just yet.

Anyone have any advice that have addressed the 2nd meter changeover already? What was the damage $$$?

Hey Greg,
I'm also staring down a huge PG&E bill and have done my homework on E9B and E9A. It was going to cost around $3K for the additional panel, service, permitting and project management costs. I've decided to take that $3K and use it to pay down the cost of a 4kW solar array. (It'll end up saving much more money in the future as I'm certain I'll be driving electric from here on out). The Ford/Sun Power solar deal is $500 off of your installation but Sun Power modules are SUPER pricey (and significantly better than everything else on the market). There are a ton of other manufacturer options out there right now as solar is cheaper than it's ever been.

Good luck!

Hi

In NJ I was able to get an RLM meter installed to replace my existing meter through PSE&G for free - as long as I commit to having it for 1 year. It has a low rate from 9pm-7am

Yoyogee said:
Hey Greg,
I'm also staring down a huge PG&E bill and have done my homework on E9B and E9A. It was going to cost around $3K for the additional panel, service, permitting and project management costs. I've decided to take that $3K and use it to pay down the cost of a 4kW solar array. (It'll end up saving much more money in the future as I'm certain I'll be driving electric from here on out). The Ford/Sun Power solar deal is $500 off of your installation but Sun Power modules are SUPER pricey (and significantly better than everything else on the market). There are a ton of other manufacturer options out there right now as solar is cheaper than it's ever been.

Good luck!

Thank you for the reply Yoyogee, and for giving me something to consider. I've always been kinda skeptical of the solar guys just because there hasn't been much regulation and the tech is changing so quickly. However I have an open mind (I'm driving this car after all). Just curious - who did you end up going with for Solar? I called the guys at SolarCity today and have a phone appt with them tomorrow. I like that Elon Musk is Chairman of their Board. BTW - on this topic, did you buy or lease? Since you said "down" payment and you're 100% sure you are electric from here on out, I'm highly inclined to think you bought. I might be interested in a lease to own type deal that offset my risk a bit though I'm likely in the same boat as you.

As for a 2nd meter, I've confirmed it's possible here in the city of Fremont and I've contacted my Electrician buddy. He can install the second panel (parts and labor) for $1400 and then I would be on the hook for the $250 charge for the 2nd meter, courtesy of our "friends" at PG&E. Then from there it's $6/mo base meter rate plus whatever is consumed at the then-current tariff schedule for E9-B. You mentioned "project management" fees in your post - is this overhead (permit-running, etc...)? Or, are there other fees to be considered?

Decisions, decisions...

Thanks again for the reply. Good luck to you as well, Sir.

Hi Greg,
Solar City is great but they've grown so big that it's a bit of a craps shoot in terms of the techs who will do your installation.
I'm leasing the car (betting the battery technology will improve) but buying the solar system. The ROI over the long term is much better than leasing and unlike electric cars, the technology is only slowly improving. What has been drastic the reduction in cost of the solar modules due to China flooding the market. This saturation is only going to last another year so as consumers we're all in a perfect position to buy. There's also the recently launch carbon offset market to consider. (There's a reason that Elon's in the game).

If you're in Fremont and want to talk to someone about buying a solar system you might want to call Greg Gayler at Gayler Construction. (He does a lot of the sub contracted installations for Sungevity, Solar Run and some of the other Solar City style leasing companies).

Tell him Robert Gilligan referred you. You're in good hands, before he got into the solar game, he was a remodel contractor and did a great job on my house and maintains an attention to detail that a lot of these run and gun solar companies don't have. (And he's REALLY reasonably priced!!!)
Here's his email address: [email protected]

Back